Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

17 Feb, 2009
2009-2-17 7:26:22 PM UTC
It was very regimented, when you went into the store they (Harper-Collins staff and Waterstone's staff) asked which books you wanted to buy (people early in the queue could get two books), I got both editions. You then queued to see Alan Lee who signed the book, you then went to the checkout.

Waterstones were discounting the books on that day as well, have checked the receipt and my copy of the Trade edition signed by Christopher Tolkien & Alan Lee was £15 (reduced from £18.99)

Originally only the first 50 copies of the Trade Edition were meant to have the book-plate but this was overturned on the day, which is good as it enabled me to get the Deluxe Edition as well.

I left at about 1pm, having got up at 3am to get there so did not see Bernard Hill at all, no huge loss to me as he has nothing to do with the books. I did see Alan Lee, David Brawn and Adam Tolkien though but have no idea how many editions they signed.

I suspect that Adam did not sign many, as he did seem uncomfortable at the event, he said very little in the Q&A, most of the questions were answered by Alan & David. I got into trouble as I asked most of the questions. He did not look keen to sign bookplates.
18 Feb, 2009
2009-2-18 8:09:46 PM UTC
I couldn't make it to the book launch, but a friend of mine went, and got Alan Lee's sig. on the bookplate (and Alan signed to me personally on the title page). Adam Tolkien also kindly signed. Adam and Alan also signed my copy of the Waterstone's magazine, on p.49 - 'Tolkien's Swansong'.

I'm sure I must have bought my friend a drink on the strength of that...

Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us