2021-11-16 11:18:31 PM UTC

ShadowFx wrote:

when we talk about the set ....

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: thelotterywinner
(849)
Ended Nov 19, 2021
This item ended more than 90 days ago

It's too much, but someone will pay it. Another set that was not mint like this one just sold for over $700
17 Nov, 2021
2021-11-17 12:00:51 AM UTC
"It's too much, but someone will pay it."

Well, if so, then by definition it's not "too much", only too much for you.

NONE of Tolkien's books have an intrinsic value; they are all of them worth precisely what someone is willing to pay for them. And what's wrong with that, so long as no one is forced to buy them at whatever price?
17 Nov, 2021
2021-11-17 12:16:06 AM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:

NONE of Tolkien's books have an intrinsic value; they are all of them worth precisely what someone is willing to pay for them. And what's wrong with that, so long as no one is forced to buy them at whatever price?

There is nothing wrong with it - doesn't mean we can't consider it to be a ridiculous waste of money :shrug: I consider my entire collection to be monetarily worthless, but I do use some common sense when adding to it (as I don't want to toilet money unnecessarily).

is a £350 1st ed Simarillion worth £350 when one can buy one for £20. I'd say no - I'd say it is simply as case of a misinformed buyer.
17 Nov, 2021
2021-11-17 12:23:42 AM UTC
So, to my mind, more helpful responses would be:

"Comparable items are available for less at: XXX"

"I've seen comparable items available for XXX, you might want to hold out."

Neither of these responses imply either intrinsic value, or folly.
17 Nov, 2021
2021-11-17 12:30:25 AM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:

I really don't have a problem with Mr. Underhill's statement. He is clearly implying that the price is too high overall, but in the current inflated market, it may well find a buyer.

I think we can all agree there is no intrinsic value in the books themselves beyond their value as something to read - in this case for entertainment. Outside of the Academic stuff, that's all Tolkien is - entertainment. That goes for any Tolkien book ever printed (or any other book, for that matter -- though some actually contain useful information on how to do things). There is no sensible reason why we collect these books and 99% of the population considers it to be absurd (and I agree with them).
17 Nov, 2021
2021-11-17 12:57:00 AM UTC
I believe that the value of certain books such as the old limited edition have an aesthetic value which highlights writings for which we are sensitive or the works of certain books reflect an intellectual value. for the rest, it is purely collector's value, therefore a monetary value which, in my opinion, over the years becomes a business where some sellers literally abuse with crazy prices to convince some buyers that there is a nugget hidden there. I definitely don't buy into this!
17 Nov, 2021
2021-11-17 1:42:44 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Aelfwine wrote:

I really don't have a problem with Mr. Underhill's statement. He is clearly implying that the price is too high overall, but in the current inflated market, it may well find a buyer.

I think we can all agree there is no intrinsic value in the books themselves beyond their value as something to read - in this case for entertainment. Outside of the Academic stuff, that's all Tolkien is - entertainment. That goes for any Tolkien book ever printed (or any other book, for that matter -- though some actually contain useful information on how to do things). There is no sensible reason why we collect these books and 99% of the population considers it to be absurd (and I agree with them).

I think art is more than entertainment. Books can be works of art both for content and execution. I think alot of things people spend money on can be reduced to 'waste of money', but then again how important is money? Surely it is good to compare prices and look at what is available and consider availability and rarity and state, but also people operate in different markets and have different resources. Collecting Tolkien now isnt the same as collecting Tolkien 10 years ago. Yes someone can wait for a bubble to burst but what if that takes the 10 years of a life when someone will feel most joy collecting? Or what if it takes 20 years? I wouldn't spend that kind of money on that box, but if someone rich wants to then they could spend money on much worse things.
17 Nov, 2021
2021-11-17 1:47:08 AM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:

I believe that it is obvious that I meant it was too much for me as I was the one who typed the statement.

Everything that can be bought after your basic food, shelter, clothing, etc...needs are met has no intrinsic value and is all entertainment, Tolkien is no different. I do agree that no one should be compelled to buy Tolkien, that would leave less for us
17 Nov, 2021
2021-11-17 2:07:17 AM UTC

northman wrote:

I think art is more than entertainment

I think most things beyond food and shelter are fundamentally entertainment. We have to fill the bits of our lives that aren't spent trying to source food and shelter. Why does one look at art? -- I can't think of any reason other than to be entertained by it in some way. I don't see anything wrong with Tolkien's work primarily being entertainment.
17 Nov, 2021
2021-11-17 2:35:42 AM UTC
A simple comparison. some will buy a luxury car to drive from point A to point B. others a cheap vehicle to make the same trip. the difference, the comfort, ok ... the motor, the look ... ok ... but ultimately the journey remains the same. for the books it is the same, some will see no use in paying a ridiculous price for in the end ... the content remains the same. I see no point in having a luxury vehicle, but for the books yes. But if a seller decides to charge me a high price for an "ordinary vehicle" I will ask him why? is this a limited series? will my trip from A to B be more pleasant? in this case everything is a question of relativity, between entertainment, scarcity, collecting stuff and demand on the market. If today someone is willing to pay for "an ordinary vehicle" at the price of a "luxury vehicle" that s their problem, it will not be the first time that we have seen people get ripped off. So actually people will do what they want but if we can give them a tip in passing, it does not cost anything. Actually this boxset is too expensive...but yes, it will find a wallet willing to buy it. Nothing new under the sun.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us