Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

21 Jul, 2009
2009-7-21 7:07:04 PM UTC
Well, I got the SuperDeluxe Edition in a very surprising and lucky way:

With the 30% off discount from a couple of months ago, I decided to buy The Tolkien Deluxe Collection box (which is already very expensive for me as I am a student )
When The HaCo box arrived at my home, I thought the outer box too narrow to contain the box with the books in it. I opened it, already panicking that it would be a wrong order...
It was of course a wrong order but one that turned out great for me as I thought the SuperDeluxe edition (for that was of course the book that was in the box) far too expensive for my budget.

And that way I was and still am a happy young man
21 Jul, 2009
2009-7-21 7:13:51 PM UTC
I think we are all very jealous, what number was it?
21 Jul, 2009
2009-7-21 9:02:55 PM UTC
I don't think you are the only one this has happened to, but as a tip - broadcasting your good fortune on the internet is a bad idea (relative to sitting quietly smug which is a good idea)! If you were sent something of greater value by accident, legal title doesn't automatically become yours (at least not in most jurisdictions)! I doubt the value of the difference between what you ordered and what you got is worth HC chasing you for a return about, but please don't go posting the number up here. :)

Stu
21 Jul, 2009
2009-7-21 9:16:09 PM UTC
if you have copy 341 then 159 are still unsold. I would estimate 3-4 years before they all are sold, which again shows they are overpriced.

Actually, the numbering is all over the place. Numbers in the mid-400s have been seen in the wild. I think all we can say is that they aren't sold out, but not much more than that. I can't really imagine them selling more than one or two a month, with a bit of a spike when they discount.

Now the S&G Super-Deluxe (which has grown on me a lot). I honestly think that there must be 400+ copies of that one left (and I don't see that number shrinking much).

Stu
22 Jul, 2009
2009-7-22 4:02:20 AM UTC
-It is a very nice book, but very expensive, I bought on the first day without the discounts that you can now get

yes i wasnt aware of the current discount until i went to purchase it, which was a nice surprise.

-If you like this book, you also may want to get the Super Deluxe Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun, though it is not as good a quality as COH.

The S&G Super Deluxe is next on my list. I appreciate all tolkiens works and i find this edition, being the first of its kind for a new, sadly overlooked, work, very appealing.
22 Jul, 2009
2009-7-22 6:02:37 PM UTC

Stu wrote:
I don't think you are the only one this has happened to, but as a tip - broadcasting your good fortune on the internet is a bad idea (relative to sitting quietly smug which is a good idea)! If you were sent something of greater value by accident, legal title doesn't automatically become yours (at least not in most jurisdictions)! I doubt the value of the difference between what you ordered and what you got is worth HC chasing you for a return about, but please don't go posting the number up here. :)

Stu

Well, that's why I have waited a while to tell this because it happened some while ago. But I think I had a bit of a (too) light-hearted moment yesterday when I posted this
So I won't post the number up here (thanks Stu for putting my feet back on the ground ).
All I can say is that it isn't a very early and a very late number
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us