Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

21 Jul, 2009
2009-7-21 10:41:26 AM UTC

loonka wrote:
My only complaint being i dont know the number for CoH as i am not going to open it.

I will have to have a look at the cardboard box for my unopened Super Deluxe Children of Hurin but it either had a handwritten number or a printed label with a number on. That number is the number of the book.

loonka wrote:
I am saving up for a reading copy.

Buy the paperback for a reading copy. It has the same pictures as the SuperDeluxe.
21 Jul, 2009
2009-7-21 4:49:31 PM UTC
Ah, please excuse my stupidity and ignorance. I now see a small black sticker with a number on it.

Dear Trotter, i am afraid i do have a standad paperback edition, and a couple of normal hardcovers. I have my super deluxe edition to keep, but i need another to open, to smell and touch and read.
Mental i know,...its a problem
21 Jul, 2009
2009-7-21 5:22:36 PM UTC

loonka wrote:
Ah, please excuse my stupidity and ignorance. I now see a small black sticker with a number on it.

Dear Trotter, i am afraid i do have a standad paperback edition, and a couple of normal hardcovers. I have my super deluxe edition to keep, but i need another to open, to smell and touch and read.
Mental i know,...its a problem

You might have noticed that I mentioned my unopened copy, I have two copies of the Super Deluxe book one which is open and one still in the box. I also have a paperback copy, a signed Trade Edition and a signed Deluxe Edition. Though I would always read the paperback copy.

Can you let us know the number of your book, we are trying to find out when HC may run out of these books for sale?

Andrew
21 Jul, 2009
2009-7-21 5:32:25 PM UTC
Yeah sure.
Its number 341.
I wish it to be known that i am very ashamed for leaving it so long to purchase a copy but.....money
21 Jul, 2009
2009-7-21 5:58:02 PM UTC

loonka wrote:
Yeah sure.
Its number 341.
I wish it to be known that i am very ashamed for leaving it so long to purchase a copy but.....money

I would not feel ashamed about any books that you buy, Tolkien book collecting is not about feeling ashamed.

It is a very nice book, but very expensive, I bought on the first day without the discounts that you can now get

Harper Collins were very upset with the prices on eBay from the bookplates which they gave out for free in the Trade and Deluxe versions of the book at the release events for the book, as they did not get any direct benefit. Sadly we will not see this type of event again.

Instead we now get Super Deluxe Editions and Harper Collins are trying to maximize the revenue from the book by selling 500 limited copies at a high price (even with a discount a lot more than my signed Deluxe COH at Waterstones).

The Super Deluxe book is clearly still far too expensive, if you have copy 341 then 159 are still unsold. I would estimate 3-4 years before they all are sold, which again shows they are overpriced.

If you like this book, you also may want to get the Super Deluxe Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun, though it is not as good a quality as COH.

Welcome to the tolkienguide.com forum as well, your description of "Mental I know,...it's a problem", is shared by a lot of members of this forum (including me)
21 Jul, 2009
2009-7-21 7:07:04 PM UTC
Well, I got the SuperDeluxe Edition in a very surprising and lucky way:

With the 30% off discount from a couple of months ago, I decided to buy The Tolkien Deluxe Collection box (which is already very expensive for me as I am a student )
When The HaCo box arrived at my home, I thought the outer box too narrow to contain the box with the books in it. I opened it, already panicking that it would be a wrong order...
It was of course a wrong order but one that turned out great for me as I thought the SuperDeluxe edition (for that was of course the book that was in the box) far too expensive for my budget.

And that way I was and still am a happy young man
21 Jul, 2009
2009-7-21 7:13:51 PM UTC
I think we are all very jealous, what number was it?
21 Jul, 2009
2009-7-21 9:02:55 PM UTC
I don't think you are the only one this has happened to, but as a tip - broadcasting your good fortune on the internet is a bad idea (relative to sitting quietly smug which is a good idea)! If you were sent something of greater value by accident, legal title doesn't automatically become yours (at least not in most jurisdictions)! I doubt the value of the difference between what you ordered and what you got is worth HC chasing you for a return about, but please don't go posting the number up here. :)

Stu
21 Jul, 2009
2009-7-21 9:16:09 PM UTC
if you have copy 341 then 159 are still unsold. I would estimate 3-4 years before they all are sold, which again shows they are overpriced.

Actually, the numbering is all over the place. Numbers in the mid-400s have been seen in the wild. I think all we can say is that they aren't sold out, but not much more than that. I can't really imagine them selling more than one or two a month, with a bit of a spike when they discount.

Now the S&G Super-Deluxe (which has grown on me a lot). I honestly think that there must be 400+ copies of that one left (and I don't see that number shrinking much).

Stu
22 Jul, 2009
2009-7-22 4:02:20 AM UTC
-It is a very nice book, but very expensive, I bought on the first day without the discounts that you can now get

yes i wasnt aware of the current discount until i went to purchase it, which was a nice surprise.

-If you like this book, you also may want to get the Super Deluxe Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun, though it is not as good a quality as COH.

The S&G Super Deluxe is next on my list. I appreciate all tolkiens works and i find this edition, being the first of its kind for a new, sadly overlooked, work, very appealing.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us