Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

18 Jul, 2009
2009-7-18 2:52:40 PM UTC
Tolkien's personal stationary was Basildon Bond for many years (during late 50's and 60's and possibly later).

I'm interested in anything and everything about Tolkien - I hadn't heard this before, so forgive my asking again - can you tell us where this info comes from?
19 Jul, 2009
2009-7-19 4:32:52 PM UTC
The info about the watermark comes from my own personal experience. I own a typed, signed letter with the post marked envelope from Tolkien written on his Sandfield Road stationary to a little girl in 1964 (I was able to contact the original owner who stated they had lost the letter at Princeston University in the late sixties. I bought the letter from a seller who found the letter in a storage box at Princeton). The Basildon Bond watermark is clearly visible when held up to a light.

A good while ago I was interested in purchasing another letter from Tolkien offered on Ebay. The letter was advertised as also being on Tolkien's personal stationary from his Sandfield Road address and was dated 1955 if I remember correctly. I asked the seller to hold the letter up to a light and see if there was a watermark there. He replied that there was a Basildon Bond watermark present. I did not get the letter (it went much higher than I could pay for it).

Of course, this does not mean that Tolkien did not use stationary other than Basildon Bond during this period.

Jim.
19 Jul, 2009
2009-7-19 10:17:42 PM UTC
Thanks for that. :)
5 Apr, 2010
2010-4-5 8:27:03 PM UTC
The info about the watermark comes from my own personal experience. I own a typed, signed letter with the post marked envelope from Tolkien written on his Sandfield Road stationary to a little girl in 1964 (I was able to contact the original owner who stated they had lost the letter at Princeston University in the late sixties. I bought the letter from a seller who found the letter in a storage box at Princeton). The Basildon Bond watermark is clearly visible when held up to a light.

Jim is selling this letter on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tolkien-Signed- ... ain_0?hash=item3cabd716ba
5 Apr, 2010
2010-4-5 8:44:30 PM UTC
Wow, you guys are fast....lol. I know I'm probably asking far too much for the letter. But that amount is the only thing that will get me to part with it.

Jim.
5 Apr, 2010
2010-4-5 9:00:22 PM UTC
I was going to post a funny/semi-snarky "gondor59 is trying to sell it on eBay" but then gondor59 came and did just that himself.

Lovely letter, and I know what you mean about trying to part with things like this, Jim!

Thanks for sharing, posting, and offering for sale.
5 Apr, 2010
2010-4-5 10:33:22 PM UTC
Whoa! Out of my league!

(I think I might have some idea of who the letter might be to, though. But I'll keep shtum).

6 Apr, 2010
2010-4-6 12:27:48 AM UTC
I promise you that it's not "Higgins."
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us