Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

24 Feb, 2010
2010-2-24 8:14:36 PM UTC
This latest item is a fake from a dealer who seems to sprout fakes like mushrooms on a log...
24 Feb, 2010
2010-2-24 8:20:43 PM UTC
I can't believe that some idiot has actually bid on this item, it's 100% fake
24 Feb, 2010
2010-2-24 8:26:51 PM UTC
It may not be a genuine bid. It may be a bid by a collaborator, to suggest bidding interest.

BH
24 Feb, 2010
2010-2-24 8:33:54 PM UTC
I hope you are not suggesting that this bid is by "Dr Higgins"?
24 Feb, 2010
2010-2-24 9:37:50 PM UTC
Has everyone seen the newest from our 'friend'

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tolkien-Illustrat ... tible?hash=item2eab5c54dc
24 Feb, 2010
2010-2-24 9:42:25 PM UTC
hey David (or so hope it is you)... thanks for showing this... had not seen it. I'm really angry and want this seller to be stopped. He is flooding the market with fakes and destroying the credibility of serious sellers.
24 Feb, 2010
2010-2-24 9:49:55 PM UTC
Hi Beren, yes it is me. I've tried many times in the past, and it just does not do any good to complain to ebay. You can't warn off unsuspecting bidders either with the new hidden monikers, so not much anyone can do about it. About the only recourse seems to be posting here, so maybe someone may see it before they bid.
24 Feb, 2010
2010-2-24 10:07:29 PM UTC
"The signature does however appear to be that of Tolkien and matches up to posted examples very favourably." --that will be example postd here on TCG!

Beren, did you read my comments in the private forum?

BH
25 Feb, 2010
2010-2-25 12:18:17 AM UTC
I just noticed the "signed" illustration on ebay and came here to post it in the forum. Looks like David beat me to it! I also have tried to contact ebay repeatedly about these kind of things, but the effectiveness is very questionable. I have to agree that this forum is a great place to flag these fakes. After all, nothing seems to get past this group.

It is a shame that some people get ripped off by these clowns. However, people should also have some common sense. If people just do a little research, making a bad purchase can usually be avoided.

It's also too bad there isn't a place on ebay to advertise TCG as a place to help authenticate Tolkien autographs. We could almost just list our own auctions as "J.R.R. Tolkien Autograph", and then just make the listing a warning about fraudulent autographs. You could potentially add a link to this thread, stating that it is a great place to research the authenticity of autographs. A lot of times they have free auction style listings, so listing something for $0.01, and stating that it is information only, might be feasible. Nobody would have to buy anything, they would just have to read the auction listing. I am sure that ebay would frown on such a marketing-style listing, but it might be another way to get their attention. I, for one, would be willing to try something like this. Any other ideas (or feedback on this one)?

P.S. TCG wouldn't necessarily have to be mentioned in such an auction, and I personally would never mention this site without the approval of TCG and its members (wouldn't want to implicate any unwilling parties or persons in my scheme!).
26 Feb, 2010
2010-2-26 11:50:39 AM UTC
Ha, that Signed Tolkien Illustration is hilariously bad; almost as good as that typewriter.

alpingloin:
Your idea is good. It probably wont be noticed by many people but there is no harm in doing it.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us