Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

29 Jan, 2010
2010-1-29 8:35:52 AM UTC
The thing is, HC have got a 30% sale on now ... which voers everything *except* the super deluxe Sigurd & Gudrun!

And nice try, Khamul, but I'd trade even my super deluxe Children of Hurin for a different Silmarillion ...

- wellinghall
29 Jan, 2010
2010-1-29 11:14:41 AM UTC
Apologies, that shows you how up-to-date I am with current HC offers! Altho', £245 for a Super Deluxe CoH is pretty good. I'm sure most of us paid full price for this at the time (many of you guys seem to buy two copies at the time!); and, of the two, CoH is the nicer I'd say. (Legendarium proper, and a far more aesthetically pleasant colour. That brown thing...)

So your saying if I gave you a copy of the Super Deluxe CoH you'd consider a swap?... No, seriously, I don't have the money. Plus you said you'd sent some photographs of it. But you're camera is clearly in need of replacement .

BH
29 Jan, 2010
2010-1-29 12:16:22 PM UTC
Eek! You're right, I did say I'd take some photos! I shall put this on my "to do" list at once! (That way, I might actually get round to it this year ... )

Although given the news from my dentist this morning, I might have to put my book-buying on hold for a year or two ... or a decade or two ...

- wellinghall
29 Jan, 2010
2010-1-29 2:01:05 PM UTC
I have never been particularly fond of this edition of S&G. I got my copy as soon as it came out, opened it, inspected it, and promptly sold it on ebay (got my money back, too!). I have really enjoyed the Super Deluxe Children of Hurin. It is a fine book, well made, and fairly striking in appearance. The Super Deluxe Sigurd and Gudrun, however, just seems far too plain and boring. It just doesn't have that nice feel to it that a very fine edition should have.

While similar in specs to the SD COH, it was produced at a different bindery, and is just not the same quality as the COH. Unless you really just need to have an 'example' of this book in order to have a more 'complete' Tolkien collection, the standard deluxe is a better buy. For my money, I would much rather leave this one out of my collection.

Harper Collins just didn't pull this one off, in my opinion (of course). It would have been a much more compelling edition, had it been bound in goat leather (and a darker, richer color, I might add), and then limited to 100 copies. Instead, it was bound in a very soft (almost suede-llike) leather, and 500 copies were printed. Oh, and the color reminds me of, well... I can't really come up with anything, but if I could, it wouldn't be nice.
29 Jan, 2010
2010-1-29 2:19:21 PM UTC
Thanks for the info / warning, alpingloin.

- wellinghall
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us