Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

11 May, 2010
2010-5-11 12:30:05 PM UTC
There's also a small pamphlet, Fifty Years of Publishing Books That Matter, issued by Allen & Unwin in 1964. The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are both mentioned briefly.

In regard to the Remembrancer, it would be nice to have a print-on-demand copy, to spare our original any further wear. Some typos, etc. could be corrected in the process. Rayner sent most of the copies to friends, relations, and former Allen & Unwin/Unwin Hyman employees, leaving the remainder to Merlin for sale. In his covering note to us, he said: 'You will find much of this rather boring but I think you might like the two Tolkien chapters.' Actually it's all very interesting.

Wayne & Christina
11 May, 2010 (edited)
2010-5-11 6:04:44 PM UTC
In his covering note to us, he said: 'You will find much of this rather boring but I think you might like the two Tolkien chapters.' Actually it's all very interesting.

I agree, in fact quite a bit of the information in the two chapters on Tolkien has been printed elsewhere but the whole book is really interesting, though I have not seen this wonderful quote from Tolkien before in the Publishing Tolkien chapters, that he was astonished that Pauline Baynes "should not realise that a dragon would always face out from its cave rather than lie with its tail near the entrance". Surely everyone knows this
11 May, 2010
2010-5-11 6:31:02 PM UTC
I recall there are some references to Tolkien outside of the two chapters given to his publishing history, too.

"Rayner sent most of the copies to friends, relations, and former Allen & Unwin/Unwin Hyman employees, leaving the remainder to Merlin for sale. "

Crikey! I feel privileged to have been able to secure a copy. (probaly at Oxonmoot). I had rather hoped I'd be able to ask Rayner to sign my copy at the next O/Moot, but sadly he passed away not long after. I was one of the TS group who attended his memorial service, at the Stationers Hall, in Ludgate Hill, London, in March 2001.
11 May, 2010 (edited)
2010-5-11 6:35:24 PM UTC
I recall there are some references to Tolkien outside of the two chapters given to his publishing history, too.

Almost every chapter apart from the first, has references to Tolkien, most have a lot of references. I think that a reprinting of this book should happen, because it is such a fantastic book.
1 Jun, 2010
2010-6-1 4:29:10 PM UTC
I have recently acquired "Book Publishing as a Career", by Philip Unwin. I haven't read it yet, but I have checked the index, and there's no mention there of Tolkien.

- wellinghall
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us