Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

11 Jun, 2010
2010-6-11 6:49:30 PM UTC
Andrew, are you talking about the dummy copy you just posted about? (--that I'd like in my collection!)

Dummy Silmarillion

I assume not, as it's not cloth: yes/no? It looks like the usual paper-covered boards.

BH
15 Jun, 2010
2010-6-15 4:52:41 PM UTC
Um, yes, it does have paper covered boards. I don't know what I can have been thinking of when I said cloth. Whoops!

- wellinghall
23 Jun, 2010
2010-6-23 8:34:55 PM UTC
khamul, thank you for the pictures - that is the same edition as I have, the only difference being that my copy does have a dj (a copy of the american edition). It is interesting to know that it is a "pirated" copy and you are correct - it is not cloth bound. Any idea of the value? I picked mine up for less than 10 pounds.
Red
25 Jun, 2010
2010-6-25 5:01:12 PM UTC
I don't think pirate editions are worth much, & although not rare (they must have produced quite a few you would think) --they are quite scarce i.e. if you wanted to go and buy a copy you might struggle to find one. Because of this a seller may charge annoyingly high for it, assuming it's of some worth.

I have two UK pirated copies with jackets & the jacket-less US copy I posted pictures of. For some reason I paid £25 for my first copy (copyright page had been excised), £15 for the second UK copy (go figure!), and £12 for the US copy. Not that I cared at the time, for I just wanted to have a look at a copy, but I overpaid by some margin for the first copy I think; the second price was more in line for a good UK pirated copy; & the second was probably too much for a copy without a jacket.

Judging by the fact that a 1970's pirated Hobbit, always a more popular title than The Silmarillion, went for £9.08 just the other day on eBay --I'd guess they're of novelty value only to most collectors. Put it this way --if you stuck a copy on eBay for Buy-It-Now £20, it would probably take a while to shift.

BH
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us