Is Christopher Tolkien's sig a worthy investment?
(1) 2

Is Christopher Tolkien's sig a worthy investment?

Jul 23, 2010 - in Signatures and Autographs (edited)
Group:
Shirefolk

Hi everyone,
New here but by no means new to Tolkien. I have been considering purchasing one of the Harper Collins luxury editions of Children of Hurin or Legend of Sigurd. At £350 for one of the limited 500 prints, and being signed by Christopher Tolkien, this seems a decent price to me (a novice at collecting).

http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Titles ... r-r-tolkien-9780007319725

I guess my question is do you guys see these as worth having for future profit. I know CT no longer partakes in book tours and signings, so his signature is getting rarer and rarer, and I would quite like one of these to sit around in my collection, especially if (as it seems to me), it would increase a bit in value.

Thanks

By laurel

Re: Is Christopher Tolkien's sig a worthy investment?

Jul 23, 2010 - in Signatures and Autographs
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Hi
I am lucky enough to have both of these books. The COH is in my opinion a nicer book but maybe others may disagree. I think Christopher Tolkiens signature is a good investment but maybe not at £350. Until recently Harper Collins had up to 30% off as I recall so maybe hold fire.
They do come up on ebay every now and again which is how I brought my for circa £200 each. Indeed a Lof S went for £175 in May!

If I was you I would give serious thought to going for the signed Silmarillion currently on ebay. I am guessing it will go for £2-400 so maybe within your budget?

If not my advice would be wait till right price comes along.

Good luck

Group:
Shirefolk

Thanks for your help -can you post a link to the auction you are talking about, as I can't seem to find it!

Group:
Shirefolk

Oh I found it now!

Group:
Shirefolk

well I went in at £201 which seemed OK until 10 seconds to go when it shot up to £404! Couldn't part with that much I'm afraid. Shame, was excited about that all day!

(1) 2
© 2018 TolkienGuide.com and respective authors. Contact Us