Tolkien Collector's Guide
What should I spend my £100 on- just for fun
1 2 (3) 4
By Gawain

Re: What should I spend my £100 on- just for fun

From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk

I think i remember looking this up whe I bought my copy and found that "Elephant Hide" is just a tough paper which doesn't scuff easily. Not made from real elephants.

By garm

Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Aw, that's a shame. (kidding)

It's my favourite Folio edition, too. The topstain is a blood red, the head and tail bands are lovely; and the pattern on the front board is ingenious. They fit in the hand lovely, too.

But you Need a slipcase with them!

Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Here's a nice item if you don't mind a little scuffing to the spine

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobbit-First-Edit ... ction&hash=item230a0cd481

Group:
Shirefolk

dunedain wrote:
Here's a nice item if you don't mind a little scuffing to the spine

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobbit-First-Edit ... ction&hash=item230a0cd481

I think I would rather just send the rest to you David, and keep doing so each month until I take receipt of a rather special trio of books!

Group:
Shirefolk

Well the folio edition never turned up, full refund offered, so it's back to the original £100, all of which I will be sending to David as a deposit on one of my top three wants!

From Belgium
Group:
Shirefolk

This week I received the 1st/4th of RotK, so I didn't order the 'original' edition of Seinte Iuliene after all. Perhaps I will buy it too, but I'm still doubting. I found it for approx. £55 with original cover - not rebound like the one I mentioned and showed earlier in this thread - but it's a lot of money to me...
A photo of RotK is coming, but it's not that special to you guys, I think. (For me it is, as it is my first LotR 1st edition so I'm quite proud of it.)

By Red

Group:
Shirefolk

I would be proud as well. I recently found later printings of first editions of the ROTK and TTT online, and am anxiously awaiting their arrival (they will be the only first editions in my collection).

From Belgium
Group:
Shirefolk

Here's a photo of the book (although not really necessary as I already have posted a photo by the previous owner)

205_4c9ca89471bff.jpg 922X1229 px

From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

As already mentioned (and you see from the picture), I believe that this is the only first edition LOTR edition with the impression details on the dust jacket spine. An unusual copy.

Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

I have the 2nd and 3rd impressions of ROTK and both have the impression number on the spine as well. See below...

707_4c9f3e2d53dc7.jpg 2604X3472 px

707_4c9f3e3c4087c.jpg 2604X3472 px

1 2 (3) 4
All original content © 2018 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us