Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

13 Nov, 2017
2017-11-13 2:53:15 PM UTC
Amazon delivered my copy today, and the earlier issues with dust-jackets being stuck to the slipcase have been resolved, at least in my copy.

Also very pleased that the tolkienguide.com gets a reference under Collecting and Sales
17 Nov, 2017
2017-11-17 10:35:17 AM UTC
17 Nov, 2017
2017-11-17 11:09:56 AM UTC
Incredible price.
20 Nov, 2017
2017-11-20 5:32:04 AM UTC
30 Nov, 2017
2017-11-30 7:40:09 AM UTC
I had the misfortune of seeing one of the Deluxe HoME sets in the flesh. Wow, it really was utter crap for a "deluxe" edition.
2 Dec, 2017
2017-12-2 8:09:49 PM UTC
My Companion an Guide set turned up. Other than the usual problem with the first and last volumes being slightly adhered to the slipcase, no problems. The extra bit of paper and glue from the inside of the slipcase peeled off easily enough leaving the dustjackets unharmed.

I definitely think these slipcases would have been pretty good if they had let the adhesive dry a little longer (I think the sides of the slipcase would have held their original position a little better, rather than pushing in a little). It is certainly a *much* better slipcase than the new Deluxe HoME (at least double the thickness, appearing pretty much identical thickness to the first edition C&G boxed set).

The books all seem well made. I notice that the specific printer in China is not mentioned. There definitely seems to be two different Chinese styles we are seeing from HarperCollins; The very poorly assembled books with flat (or almost flat) spines that don't quite look like books, and the ones that look pefectly acceptable like these.

Paper quality seems fairly neutral; certainly not the best, but nothing to complain about, either.
23 Dec, 2017
2017-12-23 4:26:19 AM UTC
I see the Deluxe History of Middle-Earth is back in stock. If anyone dare order one, I'd be interested if the quality has improved at all relative to the first print (and who has printed the second print, and if it is marked as such).

I'd like to hope it is better than the first print -- which in all honesty was one of the worst sets I have seen come out of HarperCollins, and they have produced some pretty bad sets.
4 Jan, 2018
2018-1-4 11:06:30 PM UTC
To sum the past few months, and correct me if I'm wrong:

The so-called "Deluxe" HoMe 1st print from Clays is a flop. From the pictures you kind gents provided, it seems they pulled a Kullervo. The fact that it is shorter and in a different style than the rest of the Deluxe books is irritating. Worse is HC response regarding how fortunate they are that these are selling well despite their poor quality. Pass.

The Treasury is made in China. Pass.

J. R. R. Tolkien Companion and Guide 1st print that I was very much looking forward to is Chinese (nooooo!) and unsurprisingly marred with quality control problems regarding the excessive use of glue on the slipcase.

B&L is not a standalone story, but rather a collection of all its drafts. However, the Deluxe was print in Italy by LEGO and came out pretty well.
5 Jan, 2018
2018-1-5 6:58:54 AM UTC

Morinehtar wrote:
To sum the past few months, and correct me if I'm wrong:

The so-called "Deluxe" HoMe 1st print from Clays is a flop. From the pictures you kind gents provided, it seems they pulled a Kullervo. The fact that it is shorter and in a different style than the rest of the Deluxe books is irritating. Worse is HC response regarding how fortunate they are that these are selling well despite their poor quality. Pass.

The Treasury is made in China. Pass.

J. R. R. Tolkien Companion and Guide 1st print that I was very much looking forward to is Chinese (nooooo!) and unsurprisingly marred with quality control problems regarding the excessive use of glue on the slipcase.

B&L is not a standalone story, but rather a collection of all its drafts. However, the Deluxe was print in Italy by LEGO and came out pretty well.

Yep, that's a reasonable summary. IMHO of the books you mention, the only one that I really felt has added any value is the Companion & Guide. It is a shame it had the glue problem (although most people seem to have been able to extract their books without damaging the jackets, I think). I'd have preferred a UK print, but in this case, at least the books seem fairly well put together, and aren't the rubbish we have seen with some of the other chinese (re)prints, both standard and deluxe.
5 Jan, 2018 (edited)
2018-1-5 5:13:58 PM UTC
Would you say B&L is not worth it? I think they did a good job with both the hardcover and the Deluxe. If not for reading, at least for completion's sake. It's not a Kullervo.

I wonder if it's advisable to wait for the 2nd print of the Companion & Guide to avoid the glue problems. It's all made in China anyways. Regardless, I will end up buying it sooner or later. This is a set I definitely want to read - unlike most other recent Tolkien-related releases where HC slaps some interesting artwork on random Tolkien outtakes padded with commentary to ensnare people into buying a "new J.R.R. Tolkien book".

Stu wrote:
Oh, and they have used the wrong font for the text on the spines of LoTR.

{...} notice the "W" in uppercase "FELLOWSHIP". {...} And I even provided them with high-resolution 1st impression jacket scans.

Yes, but who cares about scans of book jackets from like 80 years ago when you can use the fashionable Wikipedia "W" and make it look cooler???

So glad I didn't pre-order. To be honest, with all the current quality control problems I find it difficult to justify pre-ordering anything from HC.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us