Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 9:28:58 PM UTC
According to Amazon my box will be shipped this 6th. I'll tell you about it.
4 Nov, 2017
2017-11-4 7:08:41 AM UTC
According to Amazon my box will be shipped today. I'll tell you about it.
I hope so, going to be here.
4 Nov, 2017 (edited)
2017-11-4 2:44:25 PM UTC
Looks like an Amazon pre-order may get you the item earlier than other distributors, Amazon have stock and they don't.

I would like to know about this, anyone who has pre-ordered, and gets the item, can you say when it was delivered and who it was ordered from i.e. Amazon, Book Depository, Speedy Hen, etc.

I think that I may be in future stating that if you want the earliest delivery, order from Amazon
5 Nov, 2017
2017-11-5 5:02:23 AM UTC
An Australian bookseller told me that "the system" says the release date is now November 7th. No idea how accurate that might be though.
5 Nov, 2017
2017-11-5 8:12:53 AM UTC
At least one lucky person has received the box-set in the UK from Amazon on Saturday, November 4th.

My copy has arrived; a little over half an hour ago; and so far I'm quite pleased with it. The box arrived in good shape in spite of, rather than because of, Amazon's awful packaging - just a simple twist of brown paper to support a heavy item in a cardboard box not much bigger than the item. Shoddy. Going on to the item itself - there was an issue, but not a big one. Vol. III came out straight away, but Vol. II was a little sticky due to residual glue inside the box. Vol. I would not come out. Looking down inside the box, I saw a little scrap of white paper - part of the box's inner lining - holding onto the d/w of the book. I very gently slid a steel rule down between the book and the wall of the box, and it came away easily. The tiny blobs of residual glue here and there were removed easily, too. So far, not too bad.
5 Nov, 2017
2017-11-5 9:20:48 AM UTC
I wonder if that was the quality problem that necessitated the reprinting - excess glue?
5 Nov, 2017
2017-11-5 2:48:07 PM UTC
That quote mentions "the d/w"...

BH
6 Nov, 2017
2017-11-6 1:37:54 PM UTC
I'm still waiting. Today was supposed to be the delivery date.
7 Nov, 2017
2017-11-7 5:56:42 PM UTC
Wayne and Christina report on their blog that this excess glue was the issue
: https://wayneandchristina.wordpress.com/2017/11/07/quality-control/

Also of note: "At the same time, however, HarperCollins have received orders for the boxed set far beyond the number they had predicted, and have taken the new Companion and Guide back to press."

Thanks for the information!
8 Nov, 2017
2017-11-8 2:47:22 PM UTC
Had an email today from Speedyhen about my order.

Good afternoon,

I chased the publisher to find out when this will be published but I am afraid they still do not have a publication date. I wanted to make you aware of this and will of course keep you updated if there are any changes.

Kind regards,

Customer Service

They seem to think it has not been published yet, though it has, and it looks like they got no copies, only Amazon appear to have got them on the 2nd of November.

I have pointed out that it has been published and perhaps they might want to have a chat with HarperCollins about why they got no copies but Amazon did last week
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us