Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

2 Nov, 2017
2017-11-2 3:30:01 PM UTC

Oren wrote:

Berelach wrote:
Regarding the HoMe deluxe set, HarperCollins is saying: "The initial allocation was just 235 copies, which quickly sold, but more will be arriving toward the end of November."
I guess that means that the copy (still sealed) that I received a couple of weeks ago is a 1st impression, right?

Definitely
2 Nov, 2017
2017-11-2 3:31:58 PM UTC
Yes, as happened with HoME. The times when release date meant something are gone, I guess.
2 Nov, 2017
2017-11-2 4:42:32 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Khamûl wrote:
I wonder if allocation equals impression; or simply that the full first impression print run wasn't distributed due to... whatever reason.

What have peeps been paying here? I'm vaguely interested in this...

BH

Seems unlikely it would take so long to just get an extra distribution of already-printed books, given the printer was Clays.

From HarperCollins: "We have been advised all sets a first impression."
2 Nov, 2017
2017-11-2 7:01:56 PM UTC

Berelach wrote:

Stu wrote:

Khamûl wrote:
I wonder if allocation equals impression; or simply that the full first impression print run wasn't distributed due to... whatever reason.

What have peeps been paying here? I'm vaguely interested in this...

BH

Seems unlikely it would take so long to just get an extra distribution of already-printed books, given the printer was Clays.

From HarperCollins: "We have been advised all sets a first impression."

Weird. I guess there is nothing making them change impression numbers, even if they aren't necessarily printed or bound at the same time. Could be they simply printed more pages and didn't bind them, of course.

I still have no interest in it, mind.
2 Nov, 2017
2017-11-2 7:45:15 PM UTC
So there has only been one impression, is that what that slightly irregular sentence was trying to communicate?

BH
2 Nov, 2017
2017-11-2 8:46:12 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
So there has only been one impression, is that what that slightly irregular sentence was trying to communicate?

BH

Presumably.
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 2:19:20 PM UTC
Has anybody had shipping confirmation for the J. R. R. Tolkien Companion and Guide yet?
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 2:22:28 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:
Has anybody had shipping confirmation for the J. R. R. Tolkien Companion and Guide yet?

I suspect no, as it is still not in stock with any of the major distributors, am checking on a daily basis.
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 3:25:53 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

I suspect no, as it is still not in stock with any of the major distributors, am checking on a daily basis.

Thank you Trotter
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 3:47:15 PM UTC
I asked HarperCollins about this and this was the response

We had a quality control issue that was totally outside our control that necessitated rejecting a significant number of the boxed sets. We are printing replenishment stock to bring the first print run back up to the correct level, but with lead times at printers being the way they are at this time of year, I doubt that we will have more stock until the New Year.

It looks like no books until next year
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us