Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

8 Jun, 2017
2017-6-8 9:15:39 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
Does the Voyager imprint ever produce any editions of any author in hardback? This is interesting, if a little unusual sounding. Do we think this is going to be in the current "deluxe" style except in black (a colour not used yet)? No mention of paper. Can't be regular paper surely.

BH

Not sure I'd read too much into the imprint. Could just be an error. My gut feel is it would just be the current deluxe style of paper covered boards, but basically the same books and paper as the current version. I'd like to be wrong on that, of course.
8 Jun, 2017
2017-6-8 9:20:38 PM UTC
The current three volume standard hardbacks are huge though. That would look quite odd in the current deluxe style; very thick.

BH
8 Jun, 2017
2017-6-8 9:25:44 PM UTC
No thicker than LoTR, though.

That said, I'd argue the release would be pointless unless differentiated by having thinner paper.
8 Jun, 2017
2017-6-8 9:34:26 PM UTC
Yeh, I almost forgot about LotRs; that's big I suppose. Not sure what three of them side-by-side in a slipcase will look like tho'. Guess we'll need to wait for some images to surface...

BH
9 Jun, 2017
2017-6-9 1:31:36 AM UTC
I emailed Harper Collins and here's what they said:

"The History of Middle-earth is the three-volume edition that is bound to match the other deluxe Tolkien editions, in a slipcase."

So the Voyager thing must be an error. The details for this set have been erroneous since the beginning - I recall the page count was incorrect between the description and summary information.
9 Jun, 2017
2017-6-9 3:13:51 AM UTC
It sounds like the 3 volumes will not be individually slipcased, but only have one large slipcase. In terms of continuity, I find this a little disappointing, along with the choice to bind them all in black. Why not differing shades of black/gray? The slipcases within a slipcase of the collections gathering the first 4 and the 5 books in the series were a bit overkill, but being able to shelve each book with its own slipcase is a bonus in my view.
9 Jun, 2017
2017-6-9 4:06:44 AM UTC

Karl wrote:
It sounds like the 3 volumes will not be individually slipcased, but only have one large slipcase. In terms of continuity, I find this a little disappointing, along with the choice to bind them all in black. Why not differing shades of black/gray? The slipcases within a slipcase of the collections gathering the first 4 and the 5 books in the series were a bit overkill, but being able to shelve each book with its own slipcase is a bonus in my view.

I absolutely agree with you, Karl. The all black is a disappointing choice for a series that has had some lovely colour variations. I too felt they could have used shades of some colour to tie these three volumes together.

And of course, the fact that they will come in a single encapsulating box is going to break the continuity. I doubt they will release just outer boxes for those who've collected the rest of the books separately.

Oh well! At least we're getting these books in the same style, which is what I had hoped for :)
9 Jun, 2017 (edited)
2017-6-9 5:39:14 AM UTC
I think I would have preferred individual slipcases, but happy to wait and see what it looks like. If I like I will buy, if not, I'll give it a miss. A lot of variable factors as to whether this one hits the spot (for me), I think.

I hope that it is one that I want to buy, mind.
9 Jun, 2017
2017-6-9 8:39:13 AM UTC
I really can't fathom the idea of a deluxe slip-cased 3 volume 'reference work'. 3 volumes of the weight of HoME will ruin the poorly constructed slip in no time unless it never moves from one spot.
9 Jun, 2017
2017-6-9 10:53:38 AM UTC

onthetrail wrote:
I really can't fathom the idea of a deluxe slip-cased 3 volume 'reference work'. 3 volumes of the weight of HoME will ruin the poorly constructed slip in no time unless it never moves from one spot.

Agreed. That is the problem with the current slipcased standard HoME edition.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us