Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

9 Jun, 2017
2017-6-9 10:59:51 AM UTC
I agree on this, will probably give this set a miss, unless they look really good, not sure that this release is necessary.
9 Jun, 2017
2017-6-9 11:13:56 AM UTC
I do question the need for this release. I ran out of space for notes in my existing version and bought another identical one, it was still the 2002 print, so it is not as if this set is desperate to be reissued when a 15 year old set is readily available through major retailers.
9 Jun, 2017
2017-6-9 11:53:33 AM UTC
To be honest, I was hoping they would release this set in the same style as the current deluxe editions.

HOWEVER, the fact the colour is going to be black for all three books is disappointing. One can just as well get the existing set and remove the slipcovers:-/

This deluxe set should have at least been differentiated by its colour scheme. And individual slipcases!

Hopefully the foil-stamped motif will be interesting...
9 Jun, 2017
2017-6-9 3:05:39 PM UTC
It is all down to personal collecting. It is a pointless release to me because it is just that, pointless for me. I am sure others will enjoy it and treasure the set as an integral part of their collection. With having the hardback, paperback, and 2 x 3 Volume box-sets I just don't feel the need or desire to add that weight to the shelf.

I would love to see a reprint of The History of The Hobbit box before this.
9 Jun, 2017
2017-6-9 9:31:17 PM UTC
I guess the truth is that 99% of the various Tolkien reprints are pointless. They simply exist to try and find another way of extracting money from the consumer, not because there is any real need for them.

Fully knowing that they are pointless, there are nevertheless sometimes ones I like, but I'm now more than happy to pass on anything that doesn't hit the spot (Pocket hardback boxed sets, etc). I'm more interested in finding older (not necessarily valuable) books, I think, as much of the fun is in the chase.

Unrelated to HoME, I'm hoping we now really have seen the last of the "new" Tolkien works, mind (at least published in stretched-into-a-book format). Beren and Luthien is a good example of a book that didn't really need printing (although the new art work provides some justification).

I guess at some point we will be onto re-issues of all the post-2007 posthumous stuff. At that point, I'm well and truly out.
11 Jun, 2017
2017-6-11 2:15:39 PM UTC
For the UK Deluxe editions, HarperCollins may issue at least two more.

1 - A Secret Vice
2 - The Lay of Aotrou & Itroun

but I think these would be the final editions, if published.
11 Jun, 2017
2017-6-11 2:20:14 PM UTC
Well they could also release Letters By Tolkien, The Father Christmas Letters, Mr. Bliss... who knows.
11 Jun, 2017 (edited)
2017-6-11 2:31:52 PM UTC

Earl wrote:
Well they could also release Letters By Tolkien, The Father Christmas Letters, Mr. Bliss... who knows.

Yes, but these could have already been released, and you could add Roverandom, plus a lot more to the list

I still think the two titles that I mentioned are the most likely to be the last deluxe editions, but as you said who knows.

I did not expect HOME to have a deluxe version, so you may be right
11 Jun, 2017
2017-6-11 9:56:24 PM UTC
would need pages as thick as pre-school books to get some of those into "deluxe" format.

Mind you, could be worse -- At least we don't have simultaneous publications of the same book in different colours, as per Harry Potter (you can buy a different printing for each house).

LoTR Saruman Edition, Sauron Edition, Hobbits Edition, Dwarves Edition, etc....
12 Jun, 2017
2017-6-12 1:54:57 AM UTC
Roverandom is already in Tales From The Perilous Realm, right?

As for Letters and Mr. Bliss, the current paperbacks/hardbacks have more pages than Kullervo if my recollection is correct.

So it is conceivable they could get the deluxe treatment. All speculation :)

True about the Harry Potter editions - those are just sad :-/
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us