Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

5 Oct, 2017
2017-10-5 2:58:53 PM UTC
At the moment I am going to pass on this edition, but if anyone buys a copy, and receives it, then I would like to see pictures of the books, copyright page, and the boxset.
5 Oct, 2017
2017-10-5 5:56:04 PM UTC
Still waiting for my set because of the delay, as soon as I get it I will post pictures!
5 Oct, 2017
2017-10-5 5:59:30 PM UTC
But did you actually order it? My order at amazon.co.uk right now is

Not yet dispatched
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate.

And I ordered it before the 21st.
5 Oct, 2017
2017-10-5 6:51:09 PM UTC
We are in the same boat. Preordered it and in the same position
5 Oct, 2017
2017-10-5 7:28:03 PM UTC

mboswi wrote:
I've talked today with Amazon.co.uk and, according to them, it's out of stock. They have no clue on when it will be restocked. Besides, I had a preorder at The Book Depository for the same book and yesterday they canceled it as they didn't have enough stock, they said.

I just don't get it. I have never seen a situation like this.

I don't think it is uncommon - The book is delayed, which we have seen many times before. Book Depository will cancel an order like that, even if they have never shipped a copy -- just means that they can't get any firm date from the publisher but their expected release date has passed.

The picture earlier in this thread is quite possibly a proof copy. Doesn't mean that there has been a full production run of them (or that there ever will be, though I'd be surprised if there wasn't).

That said, Tolkien.co.uk allegedly have it in stock, but that website is notoriously unreliable.

HarperCollins NZ website says 27/11/17 for release:
http://www.harpercollins.co.nz/978000 ... -deluxe-boxed-set-edition
6 Oct, 2017
2017-10-6 11:15:08 AM UTC

yee256 wrote:
Photo from Harper Collins

By the way, where did you find this image? I don't see it on the HC website (or anywhere else online).
6 Oct, 2017
2017-10-6 12:20:46 PM UTC
Yeah, but UK release date is still this one

On Sale: 21/09/2017

It's not normal, I mean, giants like Amazon or The Book Depository not knowing what's happening. Kind of sad, in my humble opinion.
6 Oct, 2017
2017-10-6 6:30:46 PM UTC

mboswi wrote:
Yeah, but UK release date is still this one

On Sale: 21/09/2017

It's not normal, I mean, giants like Amazon or The Book Depository not knowing what's happening. Kind of sad, in my humble opinion.

Not that it is important, but Amazon and Book Depository are the same company these days. Think of how many SKUs they cary - tens of millions, and hundreds of millions in the case of Amazon. All they know about a given product is a row in a database. All they can to is look up the record for the product and tell you what it says. That's the choice we made when we decided we didn't need local bookstores and what we wanted was giant corporations that saved us a bit of money on each thing we bought.

I'm all for bashing HarperCollins when they produce a rubbish product (and indeed for praising them when they produce a good one), but I'm not going to lose sleep because a row in a database doesn't show the correct release date. Or maybe it does, and maybe they did ship some books (just a very small number) and new stock hasn't hit the warehouse yet and there is no ETA for it.

The Facsimile Hobbit was delayed 5 years, and then had another last minute delay whilst the dust jackets were all reprinted. It then went out of stock fairly quickly whilst copies had to ship in from Italy (i.e. it wasn't reprinted, the copies just weren't where they needed to be).

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this. At some point it will either come back into stock or it won't, but given overseas HC websites are still showing a release date, I'd bet on the former.
7 Oct, 2017
2017-10-7 12:42:51 AM UTC
I believe that the deluxe set has sold out and we will now be getting second impressions.

I base this on the fact that Amazon.co.uk tried to charge me for my pre-order (which I had placed on August 30) on October 4. Unfortunately, I had a problem with my debit card, so the book didn't ship, and now, after fixing the payment problem, it's already out of stock.

Amazon doesn't try to charge you unless they have the item in stock, meaning they had the set in stock two days ago.

I'm not sure a second impression of the set is worth the asking price, so have doubts about getting the set now.
7 Oct, 2017
2017-10-7 1:46:22 AM UTC

Oren wrote:
I believe that the deluxe set has sold out and we will now be getting second impressions.

I base this on the fact that Amazon.co.uk tried to charge me for my pre-order (which I had placed on August 30) on October 4. Unfortunately, I had a problem with my debit card, so the book didn't ship, and now, after fixing the payment problem, it's already out of stock.

Amazon doesn't try to charge you unless they have the item in stock, meaning they had the set in stock two days ago.

I'm not sure a second impression of the set is worth the asking price, so have doubts about getting the set now.

Going out of stock does not automatically mean a second impression. You could be right, but the book can easily be out of stock because copies haven't been shipped from the printers/binders (as happened with the Facsimile Hobbit). What you say about being charged is interesting, though, as does imply some copies did ship. I guess we will find out in due course if someone who recieved a copy pipes up.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us