Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

4 Nov, 2011
2011-11-4 5:20:49 PM UTC
The first printing of the Pocket Hobbit was also distributed to Canada. We took a chance and ordered a copy from amazon.ca. This arrived this morning and happily has the "1" on the copyright page. It's a small hardcover in a dust-jacket and an extra paper band partly advertising The Art of The Hobbit.

Wayne & Christina
4 Nov, 2011
2011-11-4 6:40:37 PM UTC
I just saw it today, in the flesh, in Waterstones (UK). Alas, it was a not a first impression, as predicted; if the distinction matters much in this case.

BH
11 Nov, 2011
2011-11-11 11:09:28 PM UTC
Many Thanks Findegil.

Ordered a copy of The Pocket Hobbit from amazon.ca and it arrived today (along with a copy from the book depository which was pre-ordered).

The Book Depository copy is a 2nd Printing and the Amazon.ca copy is indeed a 1st Printing.
15 Nov, 2011
2011-11-15 7:01:51 PM UTC
Was looking at / examining the books briefly today and they are by no means identical.

The First Printing is printed on a much lower quality (thin and dull) paper. The second printing is of a much better quality - bright white and heavier paper.

The result is that the Second Printing is about 50% thicker than the First.

I also noticed that the gilt title on the spine of the second printing reads "The Hobbit" over 2 lines whereas the First Printing just reads "Hobbit".
16 Nov, 2011 (edited)
2011-11-16 2:49:08 AM UTC
Has anyone seen this for sale in Australia, yet? We don't have that many proper bookshops left in Brisbane, and even the better ones don't tend to stock hardbacks...

Edit: I just wandered down to the local bookshop and they just got it in since the weekend. It is definitely a lot different than the second printing, so the hardcore collectors will no doubt want both.
16 Nov, 2011
2011-11-16 6:07:08 AM UTC
Hi Stu,

We have the same problem here in Melbourne with most of the book shops closing down.

The Pocket Hobbit came in on Monday. The Artof the Hobbit, A Tolkien Tapestry and the new addition of Mr Bliss still haven't come in yet.

i now order most of the new books being released via the Book Depository now, and these tend to arrive before the books end up in stock here in Australia.

Dior
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us