Tolkien Collector's Guide
Unfinished Tales Hardcover from 2000

Unfinished Tales Hardcover from 2000

Jan 8, 2012

Hi Im new here. Id like some information on the 2000 Edition of the Unfinished Tales. Its really bugging me as i can not find anything anywhere. I am starting to thing It is the rarest Tolkien book ever. I have attached a picture.

Thanks

1007_4f08ea28b5636.gif 310X500 px
Jan 8, 2012
Are you referring to the Harpercollins Hardback Edition or the Book Club Paperback Edition (both with same cover).
Jan 8, 2012
Yes the Hardback harper collins edition, although I have the paperback edition it says harper collins also.
Jan 8, 2012
I have got this edition, if this is the one you are referring to:

http://tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=64400

It is not the rarest Tolkien book ever. That would probably be 'Songs for the Philologists'.
And if you think it is the rarest UT edition, have a look at this one:

http://tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=64240

edit:
Speak of the devil...:

eBay Item #360422371548

That's probably the first time I've seen it on eBay...

Jan 8, 2012

Onónion wrote:

It is not the rarest Tolkien book ever. That would probably be 'Songs for the Philologists'.
And if you think it is the rarest UT edition, have a look at this one:

http://tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=64240

edit:
Speak of the devil...:

eBay Item #360422371548

That's probably the first time I've seen it on eBay...

I've only seen this one a couple of times previously on eBay and fortunately one of the times I won the auction (and at less than this one is currently up for). Incidentally, I bid on this one earlier today and there is someone else that is keen as it went from 36 pounds (if I remember correctly) to sixty-odd pounds before I decided I could live without a second copy! I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up 100+ pounds..

Stu
Jan 8, 2012
Still a hard book to come by.
Jan 8, 2012
Well it is not compared with the other copy of Unfinished Tales in this thread.
Jan 8, 2012
£100 plus would be total nonsense. I just don't understand what's happening with middle-of-the-road HarperCollins editions at present. These cannot possibly be rare; scarce perhaps...

BH
Jan 8, 2012

Khamul wrote:
£100 plus would be total nonsense. I just don't understand what's happening with middle-of-the-road HarperCollins editions at present. These cannot possibly be rare; scarce perhaps...

BH

Agreed that GBP 100 is nonsense for a relatively recent standard hardback, but the blue covered edition is the only one that allows for a complete set of matching HoME + Index + UT to be assembled, and this edition really does seem to actually be rare. I've only seen it come up for sale three times on eBay (which isn't to say I haven't missed it). For a long time I didn't really believe it existed and the Deagol was messing with our minds by having it on his site :)

Stu
Jan 8, 2012
At that price, I can live without it.
Jan 8, 2012
Indeed. I can do without a book that costs £100, but is worth less than half that; although, we'll see what the final price is. I only need two volumes to complete my HoME set --& this ain't one of them!

BH
Load more
Jump to Last