Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

4 May, 2021
2021-5-4 4:32:56 PM UTC
I'll try to pull together some trend reports from data I have easily at hand, as well. I think it will be useful.

Khamûl wrote:

I still think there are some oddities right now which clearly point to fads in collecting. The first edition of Smith, for example, seems to attract very little attention. I see copies of the first impression all the time going seemingly unsold; and the prices being asked are about the same as 20 years ago. Family Album used to be niche collectable & rather (in my mind) overpriced. Now... doesn't seem to attract discussion or attention. I'm sure there are others.

I hereby predict that Smith and Family Album are now going to start trending upward in price/bidding wars, and it is all your fault.
4 May, 2021
2021-5-4 5:28:19 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

I'll try to pull together some trend reports from data I have easily at hand, as well. I think it will be useful.

Khamûl wrote:

I still think there are some oddities right now which clearly point to fads in collecting. The first edition of Smith, for example, seems to attract very little attention. I see copies of the first impression all the time going seemingly unsold; and the prices being asked are about the same as 20 years ago. Family Album used to be niche collectable & rather (in my mind) overpriced. Now... doesn't seem to attract discussion or attention. I'm sure there are others.

I hereby predict that Smith and Family Album are now going to start trending upward in price/bidding wars, and it is all your fault.

Khamûl has the world supply of these hidden, clearly insider trading and market manipulation
4 May, 2021
2021-5-4 8:18:24 PM UTC
I've definitely noticed SoWM as being very cheaply available and having no obvious collector interest. I can't say I had ever noticed the Family Album as being expensive at any point, though perhaps I was not paying attention early enough. My copy from Australia with a review slip was $3 (https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... t_id=12234#forumpost12234) about 8 years ago, but I seem to recall seeing a few copies afterwards, always in the £10 kind of price-point (i.e. nothing out of the ordinary for a clean used book).
4 May, 2021
2021-5-4 8:33:38 PM UTC
I think your review slip copy definitely was a "lucky find". ?

In general, I've seen them selling in the $10-$50 range. A quick peek at eBay recently sold items shows:

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: noyz33
(1097)
Ended Apr 28, 2021
This item ended more than 90 days ago

Seller: xmilo
(263)
Ended Mar 20, 2021

Seller: clancy41rove
(70)
Ended Feb 18, 2021
4 May, 2021
2021-5-4 8:48:33 PM UTC
Fwiw, from what I've seen I've noticed a definite rise in price for the Family Album (US & UK), and had been wondering about it. I used to see them not too infrequently for ~£10, but the last year or two I've only seen them listed around £30-35.

I think it can happen easily, for whatever reasons, where people see totally different things... a friend mentioned to me a couple months ago that he was surprised that he always saw the Ace LotR copies of FotR and RotK pop up but would never see TTT. For my part I saw more TTT than the other two combined.
4 May, 2021
2021-5-4 9:38:45 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

Khamûl wrote:

Khamûl has the world supply of these hidden, clearly insider trading and market manipulation

I think we all know what title I'd be talking up if I had a notion to sell! ;)
4 May, 2021
2021-5-4 11:11:03 PM UTC
Stu: thank you so for your perspective! I appreciate you taking the time for your reply.

Regarding the Family Album, I got it used some months ago from Amazon for $20. I honestly was surprised it was so cheap, so I didn't think it twice!
11 May, 2021
2021-5-11 12:13:32 AM UTC
I have the FoA and S&G remarqued by Bill Anderson. This might be of interest to anyone into that kind of thing.

https://www.analectabooks.com/store/p2 ... qued_limited_1st_edn.html
11 May, 2021
2021-5-11 2:56:15 AM UTC
Seller: ussfcarwol
(1342)
Ended May 12, 2021

For Australians and neighbors (shipping would be high for elsewhere): first printings of the 60th Anniversary set, something you (or at least I) don't see too often.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us