Tolkien Collector's Guide

Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Interesting eBay Auctions

Interesting eBay Auctions

Mar 14, 2012

I am going to start putting interesting eBay auctions I run across (separate from the head scratching thread The Wonders of eBay ) that I think are interesting or worth a look. Feel free to add your own, or add commentary on anything posted here. I am not the seller or affiliated with any of these sellers, by default.
Load previous replies
Nov 4
Nice to hear that the seller was telling the truth... eBay tends to engender cynicism.
Nov 9
Seller: infinitebooks (56025)
Ended Nov 7, 2019
Buy-It-Now:
£22.49
Nov 9

Stu wrote:
Anyone here?

Wow, hope it was someone here.
Nov 9
Hello,

It is me. I managed to purchase the book when I just connected to ebay...
I guess I was lucky. I saw that the book is pretty scarce but don't know the real value of this book. I read here this might be the scarest edition of the Hobbit in English language?
Nov 9
But I still not have received it, will post pictures as soon as I get it :)
Nov 9

emilien wrote:
Hello,

It is me. I managed to purchase the book when I just connected to ebay...
I guess I was lucky. I saw that the book is pretty scarce but don't know the real value of this book. I read here this might be the scarest edition of the Hobbit in English language?

They are certainly very uncommon (with the 1968 1st and 1970 reprint seeming to be equally uncommon). That said, I think we seem to have seen a few more of them the last 5 years than we saw in the years before that. Price-wise, very hard to say. If you found a fine copy, I suspect it would be worth a lot, as they all tend to have a good bit of wear and tear (yours looks about average in that regard). You certainly got a good deal with that copy, though.
Nov 9
Seller: lil-luc74 (651)
Ended Nov 9, 2019
£22.20
[4 Bids]
Thank you Stu for sharing your knowledge :)

I'm very happy indeed. This morning I aldo managed to find a good bargain with a 1st printing of the other Longmans Edition from 1966 in very fine condition !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Hobbit-By-J-R-R-Tolken-1966-Book-/283661959972?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Xc34tiL9GasRqx8d5fEFFLDFGH8%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

I know that it is less uncommon though but the 2 arriving soon in my collection make me happy :)
Nov 9
Seller: lil-luc74 (651)
Ended Nov 9, 2019
£22.20
[4 Bids]

emilien wrote:
Thank you Stu for sharing your knowledge :)

I'm very happy indeed. This morning I aldo managed to find a good bargain with a 1st printing of the other Longmans Edition from 1966 in very fine condition !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Hobbit-By-J-R-R-Tolken-1966-Book-/283661959972?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Xc34tiL9GasRqx8d5fEFFLDFGH8%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

I know that it is less uncommon though but the 2 arriving soon in my collection make me happy :)

Very nice copy (Pity about the pesky blue pen mark, though). I have acquired an abundance of these 1sts in decent condition (four of them now). For some reason they come for sale in NZ more than one might expect, and I've found 3 here since I found my first copy in the UK. The interesting thing about them is they are all a little bit different dimensionally. I'm actually struggling to find all the later printings (I still have three to go, IIRC).

There was a thread showing a comparision, and I can't find it, but this one shows the first three copies I found.
https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... t_id=16478#forumpost16478
Nov 14
What. A. Price

I'll likely flog it to help pay for something I don't already have.

228_5dcddd4993ea4.jpg 1200X1600 px

228_5dcddd9f0f1cc.png 2706X1378 px
Nov 14
would love to buy it. Where it is? could you share the link ?
Load more
Jump to Last