21 Oct, 2021
2021-10-21 9:01:09 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: gollumanelf63
(4389)
Ended Oct 31, 2021
This item ended more than 90 days ago

What can be a fair price for this set with the related slipcase (http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=1185), in VG condition?
21 Oct, 2021
2021-10-21 9:16:52 PM UTC
In the (recent) past I'd have said £50-90 would have been a reasonable aim to acquire this set, assuming both the desired condition, and earlier "UNWIN HYMAN" logo'd impressions...

Today, who knows. Maybe double that?
21 Oct, 2021
2021-10-21 9:25:08 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

In the (recent) past I'd have said £50-90 would have been a reasonable aim to acquire this set, assuming both the desired condition, and earlier "UNWIN HYMAN" logo'd impressions...

Thank you, Khamûl
The earlier logo is that with the text only, while the later one is that with the man and the circle, right? Are they different only because of the logo, or are there any other differences (text, covers, etc.)?
21 Oct, 2021
2021-10-21 9:35:26 PM UTC

Mauro D86 wrote:

Khamûl wrote:

Thank you, Khamûl
The earlier logo is that with the text only, while the later one is that with the man and the circle, right? Are they different only because of the logo, or are there any other differences (text, covers, etc.)?

The later logo is indeed the man/circle. Without slipcase, the first prints thus of these have always been dirt cheap (< £10 a volume). I'm not sure they would have gone up that much really, from what I have observed. They are very common.
22 Oct, 2021
2021-10-22 5:45:28 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Mauro D86 wrote:

Khamûl wrote:

Thank you, Khamûl

The later logo is indeed the man/circle. Without slipcase, the first prints thus of these have always been dirt cheap (< £10 a volume). I'm not sure they would have gone up that much really, from what I have observed. They are very common.

Thank you, Stu
I saw the single volumes quite often for sale, but I don't remember recent sales for the full set with the slipcase (or maybe I didn't pay enough attention to this specific edition).
22 Oct, 2021 (edited)
2021-10-22 5:52:14 AM UTC

Mauro D86 wrote:

Stu wrote:

Mauro D86 wrote:

Khamûl wrote:

Thank you, Khamûl

Thank you, Stu
I saw the single volumes quite often for sale, but I don't remember recent sales for the full set with the slipcase (or maybe I didn't pay enough attention to this specific edition).

The slipcased sets come up much less frequently. I think the last one I saw was about £50 (a couple of months back).

one from a year or so ago

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/auctions/254766448058
22 Oct, 2021
2021-10-22 8:08:55 PM UTC
Seller: used-a-bit.sales.and.pawn
(2554)
Ended Oct 27, 2021
23 Oct, 2021
2021-10-23 10:50:35 AM UTC
One of the nicer US 1938 First Edition Hobbits I have seen recently. But, you know, the price…

(Note, it is a facsimile DJ.)

Seller: enigmadragon
(978)
Ended Dec 14, 2021
26 Oct, 2021
2021-10-26 6:49:25 PM UTC
The Ballantine green box

Seller: thebasementtroll
(32863)
Ended Nov 2, 2021
29 Oct, 2021
2021-10-29 12:19:31 PM UTC
Another like the set I just recently acquired.

Seller: kolektorskamp
(1282)
Ended Nov 5, 2021
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us