Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

1 May, 2021
2021-5-1 4:12:31 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

I don't know the exact reason, but it could be why The Lord of the Rings Readers Union editions are sought after and treasured: it's a kind of one-off. As far as I'm aware, Longman's hasn't published any other Tolkien titles besides The Hobbit, likewise with Readers Union with regards to The Lord of the Rings.

I don't agree with that comparison at all, as the readers union sets can be found very easily and are not nearly as sought after as this. They were also not produced for schools but for a book club, which is why many more of them survive. Also the The Hobbit was not a "one off" as there were two print runs.
1 May, 2021
2021-5-1 4:13:40 PM UTC
A one-off with respect to that publisher only publishing The Hobbit.
1 May, 2021
2021-5-1 4:19:55 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

A one-off with respect to that publisher only publishing The Hobbit.

Longmans published two editions of The Hobbit so still not a "one off"

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=131
http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=134
1 May, 2021 (edited)
2021-5-1 4:21:35 PM UTC
I understand what you guys are saying. I'm not referring to print run, or different editions, but the fact that the only Tolkien title Longmans has published is The Hobbit. That's all.

Maybe I should have used 'Unique Edition', 'Black Sheep', or 'oddball' instead....
1 May, 2021
2021-5-1 4:46:43 PM UTC
The Puffin Hobbit was also a one-off edition, but lots more were printed and it is much more readily available than the Pleasure in Reading editions. It is the number that are available that are important not how many titles were printed by a publisher.
1 May, 2021
2021-5-1 4:53:34 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

The Puffin Hobbit was also a one-off edition, but lots more were printed and it is much more readily available than the Pleasure in Reading editions. It is the number that are available that are important not how many titles were printed by a publisher.

Agreed, I think a better comparison would be with the '42 Children's Edition.
1 May, 2021
2021-5-1 5:02:36 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

2. These were for elementary schools and libraries, so most got beat up pretty badly and are not around anymore
3. There were only two print runs (I don't know the size) perhaps others do.

Interesting that scarcity plays such a big role. I personally view scarcity only as a hindrance to me getting the editions I want, not as an incentive for acquiring editions in its own right. Unsurprisingly, I have no interest in this one (but full support to those of you that do!).
1 May, 2021
2021-5-1 5:19:56 PM UTC

Philomythos wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

2. These were for elementary schools and libraries, so most got beat up pretty badly and are not around anymore
3. There were only two print runs (I don't know the size) perhaps others do.

Interesting that scarcity plays such a big role. I personally view scarcity only as a hindrance to me getting the editions I want, not as an incentive for acquiring editions in its own right. Unsurprisingly, I have no interest in this one (but full support to those of you that do!).

For me, Scarcity (in it's own right) is certainly one of the biggest factors, definitely in terms of the satisfaction gained in acquiring a scarce edition - "The thrill of the hunt". It tends to be the rare editions that I find most satisfying to have in the collection or to look at on the bookshelf - obscure booklets, limited editions etc etc. Collecting is different for everyone I suppose.
1 May, 2021 (edited)
2021-5-1 6:59:12 PM UTC

Philomythos wrote:

Likewise. I prefer editions that I find aesthetically pleasing/have interesting content. If this edition happens to be rare, it’s a problem, because that means it’ll be more expensive :S
1 May, 2021 (edited)
2021-5-1 8:15:17 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

I don't know the exact reason, but it could be why The Lord of the Rings Readers Union editions are sought after and treasured: it's a kind of one-off. As far as I'm aware, Longman's hasn't published any other Tolkien titles besides The Hobbit, likewise with Readers Union with regards to The Lord of the Rings.

Collectors have generally turned their noses up at the Readers Union edition. it hasn't been sought after AT ALL. Even now, it remains cheaper than an A&U edition of the same age in the same condition. Historically book club editions have not been considered collectible.

Longman, Green & Co. published two quite different school versions of The Hobbit, so not a one-off for that particular publisher.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us