The J R R Tolkien Audio Collection
$17.26
TolkienGuide is a Blackwell's affiliate
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Jun 24
2022/6/24 11:10:44 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Seller: thegreatescape
(128736)
Ended Jul 4, 2022
$462.00
[40 Bids]
Submitted by: Mr. Underhill
Jun 24
2022/6/24 22:10:12 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Wow, those first two lots are impressive. I imagine they will go for a lot—if only I had that kind of money…
Jun 24
2022/6/24 22:40:23 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Jlong wrote:

Wow, those first two lots are impressive. I imagine they will go for a lot—if only I had that kind of money…


Worth saying that it is Heritage Auctions, so whatever the final stated selling price, you may wish to take that into consideration, given the various allegations about shady business practices that have been made.
Jun 24
2022/6/24 22:49:08 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Stu wrote:

Jlong wrote:

Wow, those first two lots are impressive. I imagine they will go for a lot—if only I had that kind of money…


Worth saying that it is Heritage Auctions, so whatever the final stated selling price, you may wish to take that into consideration, given the various allegations about shady business practices that have been made.

Agreed, wish the current owners of the items would have chosen a different auction house.
Jun 25
2022/6/25 0:09:24 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
It is also worth noting that both Heritage and WATA who are the co-accused both strongly deny the allegations. WATA have called the claims baseless and defamatory. Also connected to this allegation was the suggestion that Jeff Meyer of GoCollect was involved. He has also come out strongly to deny the allegations, also pointing out that he never worked with or for WATA, which the allegation suggested. Heritage said publicly that they wished they had been asked for a reaction before the video was posted because they could have corrected the many errors of fact. They obviously do not go into detail as it relates to an allegation of law breaking, but they did say that much of the video was in error. And Jobst, who originally posted the video says he hopes they don't come after him because they have a lot of money, well sure, but they're not the mob, and they have responded to questions when asked about the allegations. Karl Jobst is a journalist, apparently, yet he didn't approach the companies he was accusing once he had compiled his evidence. As a journalist, you seek comment, or hand the evidence to the police, you don't post a YouTube video without giving a company the opportunity to respond. Well, you shouldn't, but he did.

We've touched on this briefly when Heritage listings were affected here after the allegations were made, and of course the mods have every right to decide what content is hosted here but maybe we should give them the benefit of not having been found guilty of any offence thus far, in fact they have not been so much as questioned as far as we know. Possibly a disclaimer can be attached to any Heritage listings posted? A mod could post a mod note with links to the allegations and Heritage and WATA's responses and leave it up to the viewer to decide if they are confident bidding on an item. Rather than any of us here insinuating about practices or denigrating a company unfairly, because if they are cleared of all charges, that is in fact what will have happened.

Just a thought.
Jun 25
2022/6/25 2:47:07 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

onthetrail wrote:

It is also worth noting that both Heritage and WATA who are the co-accused both strongly deny the allegations. WATA have called the claims baseless and defamatory. Also connected to this allegation was the suggestion that Jeff Meyer of GoCollect was involved. He has also come out strongly to deny the allegations, also pointing out that he never worked with or for WATA, which the allegation suggested. Heritage said publicly that they wished they had been asked for a reaction before the video was posted because they could have corrected the many errors of fact. They obviously do not go into detail as it relates to an allegation of law breaking, but they did say that much of the video was in error. And Jobst, who originally posted the video says he hopes they don't come after him because they have a lot of money, well sure, but they're not the mob, and they have responded to questions when asked about the allegations. Karl Jobst is a journalist, apparently, yet he didn't approach the companies he was accusing once he had compiled his evidence. As a journalist, you seek comment, or hand the evidence to the police, you don't post a YouTube video without giving a company the opportunity to respond. Well, you shouldn't, but he did.

We've touched on this briefly when Heritage listings were affected here after the allegations were made, and of course the mods have every right to decide what content is hosted here but maybe we should give them the benefit of not having been found guilty of any offence thus far, in fact they have not been so much as questioned as far as we know. Possibly a disclaimer can be attached to any Heritage listings posted? A mod could post a mod note with links to the allegations and Heritage and WATA's responses and leave it up to the viewer to decide if they are confident bidding on an item. Rather than any of us here insinuating about practices or denigrating a company unfairly, because if they are cleared of all charges, that is in fact what will have happened.

Just a thought.

Allegations have been made (in the public domain), so I think it is important for anyone to be aware of them, so long as it is made clear when referenced that that's all they are -- allegations. At this point it is entirely up to the buyer and seller whether they believe them (as they are unproven in any court). I do think people should do their own research on any company they plan on dealing with and come to their own conclusions.
Jun 25 (edited)
2022/6/25 5:15:27 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
We have been asked by the Estate not to post images of Tolkien letters or manuscripts, so I would not have posted the Heritage Auctions listings in the same way as other auctions on the site.

I also encourage people to look at the allegations about the Auction House, which have not been proven, but you should be aware of.

In this case the auction items are very important, though I wish the vendors had consigned elsewhere, so I think people will be interested in looking at the items on the Heritage Auctions website.

https://historical.ha.com/itm/books/-j ... ding-an-au/a/6258-42009.s
Sold for USD 106,250 with Buyers Premium
https://historical.ha.com/itm/books/j- ... rningthe-h/a/6258-42010.s
Sold for USD 150,000 with Buyers Premium
Jun 25 (edited)
2022/6/25 9:29:18 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Stu wrote:

Allegations have been made (in the public domain), so I think it is important for anyone to be aware of them, so long as it is made clear when referenced that that's all they are -- allegations. At this point it is entirely up to the buyer and seller whether they believe them (as they are unproven in any court). I do think people should do their own research on any company they plan on dealing with and come to their own conclusions.

Trotter wrote:

I also encourage people to look at the allegations about the Auction House, which have not been proven, but you should be aware of.

In this case the auction items are very important, though I wish the vendors had consigned elsewhere, so I think people will be interested in looking at the items on the Heritage Auctions website.

Absolutely, and in my opinion that is why a mod should maybe add a note to Heritage Auction listings that anyone posts here so that we don't end up with comments that may unfairly harm HA if they turn out to be entirely innocent, as they claim. That way we would not end with half insinuations about them or comments wishing the seller had sold with someone else because of as yet unporven allegations.
Jun 25
2022/6/25 10:50:35 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Agreed, which is why I wish they could have chosen a different house, as you say they haven't been proven in a court room, but whatever the final hammer price is on these there will be some doubt as to the authenticity of that price, that there wouldn't be with another house.
Jump to Last