Tolkien Collector's Guide
Interesting eBay Auctions
1 ... 46 47 (48) 49 50 ... 79

Re: Interesting eBay Auctions

Dec 22, 2013 - in Collector's Marketplace
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

It did (and, indeed, still does). This is what happens when you invite one of your editors to your wedding during publication year ...

- wellinghall

Dec 24, 2013 - in Collector's Marketplace
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

This copy went for a low price, I thought - did anyone here get it?

- wellinghall

Dec 29, 2013 - in Collector's Marketplace
From Munich, Germany
Group:
Shirefolk

Seller: organ.guy (312)
Ended Jan 8, 2014
£375.00
[15 Bids]
eBay Item #251413435200

I have little hope, that this one goes very cheap. Especially after everyone here is watching it now But I'm low on cash so let's see where it goes.

Jan 14, 2014 - in Collector's Marketplace
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Wow, someone got a great deal on a very scarce pamphlet! Thanks for pointing this out (after it ended, grrr) Khamul!

Ebay Item #251419171257

By Jlong

Jan 14, 2014 - in Collector's Marketplace
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

I was waiting to bid on that item within the last hour but got distracted and forgot about it. Oh well. I already own a copy. Someone did get a great deal on that, though.

Feb 9, 2014 - in Collector's Marketplace
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Seller: robinsatsher (1049)
Ended Feb 9, 2014
£215.00
[29 Bids]
To be honest I think this belongs in the "Wonders" thread:
eBay Item #291069254591

I know it's a review copy, but £215 is crazy money for a 1st/1st with a piece of paper laid in. Interesting, yes; worth this much?, I don't (personally) think so.

Anyone here win it?

BH

You drive a hard bargain – you can have it for £10 all-in – one consolation (for you) is that you do not have to hear the cries of my children, for bread...

By laurel

Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Crazy is my middle name !
You are right a lot of money but this copy took my fancy and adds nicely to my other Bombadil's. I can't recall another preview copy ever coming for sale ? Can anyone advise to the contrary?
Anyone know how many would have been sent out?
Any info most welcome.

By remy

Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Thought it as a reasonable price myself!! Khamul - gotta pay up if you want something a bit different that the everyday run of the mill first edition! Though I know many would share your thoughts in thinking it was a mad price.

Congrats Laurel!! I bid on the auction also.

Never seen another review copy before and no idea how many would have been sent out.

I did find a Proof Copy some time back but I had to pay quite a high price for that one.

From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

But it is just a run of the mill first edition! Just happens to include a little piece of paper...

No, I understand, it's quite an interesting copy. I have about four or five Silmarillion review copies. They didn't require anywhere near this kind of money to acquire though. Two of them were from the reviewers who had originally been sent them. They are fun to have & collect; I just thought this was a little steep.

BH

You drive a hard bargain – you can have it for £10 all-in – one consolation (for you) is that you do not have to hear the cries of my children, for bread...

By remy

Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

But it is just a run of the mill first edition! Just happens to include a little piece of paper...
BH

Indeed it is I suppose and again most would share your view. However for me, I am always attracted to something which would make the book a little different from the rest.

Silmarillion review copies - very nice. And while not worth this kind of money would certainly command a higher price than a "regular" first edition copy (in my eyes) just like a review copy of bombadil would command a higher price than a "regular" first edition.

And again, I know my own views would not be shared by the majority in all probability.

1 ... 46 47 (48) 49 50 ... 79
All original content © 2018 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us