1 ... 47 48 (49) 50 51 ... 77
By laurel

Re: Interesting eBay Auctions

Feb 9, 2014 - in Collector's Marketplace
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

LOl
Here is someone who has 4 or 5 (cant recall?) review copies of the same book! Talk about crazy

From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

You calling me crazy?!

It's definitely five copies; but whether they are all strictly review copies, I'm not sure. One is (I'm sure you possibly saw it listed on eBay; it was up for months) a Clowes "export" edition with a small folded piece of card over the ffep; card is by Methuen & has details of the price & publication date. I'm guessing it was probably presented like this for review, but possibly not.

BH

125_52f7ebd327b65.jpg 525X460 px

You drive a hard bargain – you can have it for £10 all-in – one consolation (for you) is that you do not have to hear the cries of my children, for bread...

By laurel

Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

mmm
it looks like some sort of preview copy for sure - maybe something else was attached at time as well?

From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Indeed, there was probably some sort of generic cover letter too --but unfortunately nothing like that was present with the book when purchased. Pity, as it would have given a date. The US copy I have has a review slip plus a letter to the reviewer plus a biographical blurb about Tolkien. Distribution of US review copies was in early August 1977.

BH

You drive a hard bargain – you can have it for £10 all-in – one consolation (for you) is that you do not have to hear the cries of my children, for bread...

By laurel

Feb 17, 2014 - in Collector's Marketplace
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

eBay Item #191070246728

First time i have seen one unnumbered ! and probably the last!
Interesting though

From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

If HarperCollins were a small press (&/or had any sense) they would have marked this, as is common in the book trade, "PC" (i.e. printer's/publisher's copy). In the absence of any such non-numbering marking the owner is now free to mark this copy, if they are inclined to such shenanigans, with any number they desire e.g. #1, which would presumably command a higher price. Slightly odd HC didn't do this in this instance.

BH

By Beren

Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

I have several of such books... they are author copies.
They are either unnumbered or get the initials of those who they are for. Like I have some copies with PC in them.

From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Indeed; but it's poor practise not to mark them for the reasons I cited. It may well have been unnumbered unintentionally, I suppose.

BH

By Jlong

Feb 27, 2014 - in Collector's Marketplace
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

I bought a copy of this Canadian magazine on eBay that contains the Plimmers' interview with Tolkien that was first published in The Daily Telegraph: http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=55110

I hadn't known about this reprint. Does anyone else have a copy of this: eBay Item #111272791300

By Deagol

Feb 27, 2014 - in Collector's Marketplace
From UK
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

I have this magazine, but the title in the top left box is 'The Daily-Times Journal' of Fort William.

1 ... 47 48 (49) 50 51 ... 77
All original content © 2018 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us