Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

31 Aug, 2012
2012-8-31 8:21:31 PM UTC
this is where bargains are to be had; from confusion

Nicely put! There's something of a philosopher in you, Khamul!
7 Oct, 2012
2012-10-7 7:08:31 AM UTC
"While the fantasy worlds in those works were drawn from Tolkien's knowledge of language and folklore, The Fall of Arthur used contemporary English, but was written in a style derived from 11th-century verse.

HarperCollins, which will publish the poem next May, was taken aback when Tolkien's son contacted the company about publishing the work.

Christopher Tolkien has devoted years of research to deciphering his father's manuscript fragments. The poem's existence was known only from the briefest of mentions in two letters and six lines that Tolkien's biographer, Humphrey Carpenter, was allowed to publish.

Chris Smith, editorial director at HarperCollins, said: “We'd never seen it until a manuscript was delivered to us. It's completely unpublished, apart from the handful of lines in the Carpenter biography. In the two letters, you have these scant but tantalising references to it. That's the reason it's known about, but no one has had access.”

Christopher Tolkien has been unable to establish exactly when the poem was written. The author made a single reference to it in a 1955 letter and kept a 1934 letter from his friend, RW Chambers, professor of English at University College London, who wrote: “It is very great indeed ... really heroic ... You really must finish it.”

There are no film rights available for The Fall of Arthur."

I don't see what relevance film rights has to this book, but looking forward to it.

You have to register to use the link below but if search Google for the article, then you can read it without registering.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/ ... ry-e6frg6so-1226490111696
7 Oct, 2012
2012-10-7 10:00:39 AM UTC
7 Oct, 2012
2012-10-7 12:06:54 PM UTC
Just a plain standard hardback, I take it? (No deluxe?)
Ordered anyway --cheers wellinghall.

I see they're still peddling this rubbish about nobody knowing of its existence & only a handful of folk having seen it. What a pile of nonsense.

BH
7 Oct, 2012
2012-10-7 1:45:51 PM UTC
Today's Sunday Times also has an article about this and prints the first thirty-eight lines of the poem as well.
7 Oct, 2012
2012-10-7 2:44:09 PM UTC
I just read it. "Even scholars were not given access" --is this actually true? I thought (I probably recall incorrectly) Fleiger (& perhaps Doug Anderson) were thinking (or had asked) about it's possible publication. I always assumed they (& others) had seen/read it. I may be confusing this with some comment I've read in regard to Tolkien's (alliterative and prose) translations of Beowulf though...

BH
7 Oct, 2012 (edited)
2012-10-7 3:05:03 PM UTC
That is a good question, what else is in super secret section of the Bodleian? or does this exist at all?

I think Doug Anderson is involved with the new book.

HarperCollins press release

http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Titles ... r-r-tolkien-9780007489947
7 Oct, 2012
2012-10-7 4:44:07 PM UTC
What makes you say that? (--the Doug bit.)

Also, did you note that it says it will be published in the UK on May 23rd, but May 1st (earlier) in Australia?

BH
7 Oct, 2012
2012-10-7 4:49:24 PM UTC
Doug is not involved, my mistake

Yes, why is it coming out in Australia 3 weeks earlier, very strange?
7 Oct, 2012
2012-10-7 5:11:45 PM UTC
You don't need to score it through --that is what you thought!
...or was what you think...ed (--incorrectly!)

BH
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us