Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

9 Feb, 2014
2014-2-9 10:06:57 AM UTC
Condition description from an Amazon seller:

Collectible - Like New

An apparently unread copy in perfect condition from my personal collection. Cover is intact with no nicks or tears. Spine has no signs of creasing. Pages are clean and not marred by notes or folds of any kind.

Someone with a good working knowledge of their own "collection" I see...

BH
31 Mar, 2015
2015-3-31 2:24:43 PM UTC
Email exchange with eBay seller listing copy of The Silmarillion.
Book description: "Signed pages missing". That's it, no other detail given.
I was curious...

BH Q: What do you mean by "signed pages missing"? Signed by who, and missing in what way?
I think it was signed by Tolkien's son, pages three to six has been removed, it is a first edition and still has the original map at the back.
BH Q: I'm curious as to why you would say it was signed by his son (the editor). Are you guessing this, or do you know this to be the case with this copy? And if it was signed, why would someone have torn out the pages?
To my knowledge, all first edition hard backs were signed.
BH Q: I'm assuming you're referring to this title in particular & not "all first edition hard backs" generally? Either way, Christopher Tolkien (son & editor) signed very, very few copies of The Silmarillion, considering how many were printed (i.e. hundreds of thousands). I don't think someone would have torn his signature out.

Silence...

BH
31 Mar, 2015
2015-3-31 7:17:09 PM UTC
What a numpty :(
31 Mar, 2015
2015-3-31 8:51:11 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:
What a numpty :(

Indeed. I think he meant to write "Library Stamps torn out". That said, it sounds like he is just clueless/confused.
12 Apr, 2015
2015-4-12 2:37:39 PM UTC
Stu posted these comments in the Wonders thread (here), but they certainly belong in this thread:

Stu wrote:
Genuine question asked (by me):
"How do you know the books are 1st impressions, given that the set is in shrinkwrap, and is one that was issued with various impressions over the years?"

Answer received:

"Oh, please, do impart on us your eastern Antipodean methodology possibly relied upon given the available evidence."
And...

Stu wrote:
I had a couple of further messages back and forth with the seller. They were the oddest I have ever had on eBay. As far as I could tell he was just baiting me with each email (as he clearly was with the first one). e.g.:

New message from: e-waymann Top Rated Seller (9802Green Star)

"Hello again,

Notwithstanding the robotic courtesy afforded by utility of eBay’s messaging system, recipients, generally, prefer a sense of personable mien from one’s initiating inquiry. In that regard, trilobite renditions in the company of a purported air of stuffiness as furnished by your good self, are accordingly accepted and reciprocated upon. In this instance, it was vaguely more than opting for a reply as opposed to ignorance out of sympathy.

Indeed, the evident presumptiveness furnished within your scrawl does border on the risible.

Insofar that you pretend to be given to semantics, I’d proffer that eBay affords its members the opportunity only to access its messaging service; email is something totally different again. I do trust you are capable of discerning one from the other. In any event, ought you be proposed to actually achieve the knowledge in question - smattering as it may be - then kindly devote whatever good senses to your avail in that endeavor. But, then again, you seem to have all the answers, giving rise to the underlying presumption that your initial inquiry was kittle more than a forlorn attempt at superior dialogue leading to a feeble attempt at spoiler humor!

Additionally, as evidenced within your traducible theatrics, you clearly stand by the notion that you provide safe harbor to every further answer imaginable and, accordingly, our efforts to extend to you our efforts previously undertaken regarding this particular volume's provenance, would amount to an utter waste of our resources.

I further hold that any worthwhile ‘education’ rests within the intended’s desire to be conducive to same. In that regard, I believe any polemic enterprise to that end would be a further insult upon time, further to which, your sleeping habits et al, are of no interest to me.

Again, good day. We shan’t hear from you further.
"

BH
13 Sep, 2015
2015-9-13 9:00:45 PM UTC
eBay seller leemingrj ("The Road Goes Ever On Tolkien & Swann Song Cycle" listing):
First published 1968. Second impression 1969.
I am not a dealer, just downsizing in my ninth decade to make it easier for my executors.
Starting at a reasonable price so happy bidding.
BH
19 May, 2021
2021-5-19 7:58:21 PM UTC
The Inexorable Decline of Abebooks

A response to my query about the unlikelihood of a 70+ year old book being "new" (described as such) & whether this book still had a new dustjacket...

I am currently not in the same area as the shipping department, so I'm
unable to look into any specifics. However, the condition is based on
Abebooks guidelines. If the item is listed as new, it will contain
whatever supplemental materials are meant to come with it, but depending
on age there may be signs of shelf wear.

A book described as possibly being ex-lib. I asked what marks suggested this &/or how this wasn't clear...

I am happy that you have reached out to me about this title. Unfortunately, we cannot honor your request for additional information on this listing. Sadly we do not have a verification process in place between all of our distribution centers. Our technology team is working with me to create such a process, but it is a work in progress and has proven difficult to integrate. Please note that we list all of our books online according to their ISBN/ASIN numbers, authors, and publisher. This information is directly related to a specific edition, the binding, and the language. Although I may not be able to provide you with additional details, please know that we stand behind our listings and if you chose to order from us and for any reason, the item is not as expected, we will work with you to make it right.

Uh.
19 May, 2021
2021-5-19 8:16:03 PM UTC
I’ve noticed those ‘possibly ex-lib’ listings becoming more prevalent the last couple years. Like saying, ‘this book could be in perfect condition or totally worthless condition.’ Obnoxious.
20 May, 2021
2021-5-20 12:46:35 AM UTC
I'm so glad this thread was revived. I'd completely forgotten about the post from April 12 2015 on the first page. Marvellous seller interaction that one!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us