Signed LotR to be Auctioned Off
1 2 3 (4) 5 6
By remy

Re: Signed LotR to be Auctioned Off

Feb 10, 2013 - in Collector's Marketplace
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

I think it unlikely that the sil will come up for sale anytime soon......

From Munich, Germany
Group:
Shirefolk

remy wrote:

I think it unlikely that the sil will come up for sale anytime soon......

Do you want to tell us something? You seem to have "insider information"

From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

All of them, or one in particular? I mean, the #3 Super Deluxe (owned by Rayner) is interesting enough; but it's not one of a kind. However, the proof (the book & the loose pages) & presentation copies are something else entirely. I don't see any particular reason why the buyer, unless they retain it themselves, wouldn't sell on the former. The others? --I can see why one might want to hang on to these, especially with the auction being so recent.

BH

Feb 10, 2013 - in Collector's Marketplace (edited)
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

All of the above assumes, of course, the buyer was a bookseller. If, on the other hand, the buyer was a collector --then, yes, I don't think we're likely to see these any time soon.

BH

From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

The first Tolkien item (# 511 - The Hobbit "file copy") is up on Abebooks:

The Hobbit (J and M Books Limited)

It's listed at £9500. When you consider ABE's 13.5% fees (if that's still what ABE charges), this equates to about £8200 to the seller. The hammer price was £3200 at Dominic Winter auctioneers; so about £3840 cost to the buyer (20% was it?).

What do you guys think of the mark-up? Not, actually, as much as I'd have imagined.

BH

1 2 3 (4) 5 6
© 2018 TolkienGuide.com and respective authors. Contact Us