Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

2 Feb, 2014
2014-2-2 11:03:03 PM UTC
Like you I have some of the early paperback editions (unwin allen, ballantine, methuen, ace), but tend to focus on american and uk hardcovers. I imagine anyone being a completest would have to add an addition to their house to store all the different hardcover and softcover versions that have been produced.
2 Feb, 2014
2014-2-2 11:06:00 PM UTC

I imagine anyone being a completest would have to add an addition to their house to store all the different hardcover and softcover versions that have been produced.

Indeed. 2 Large Rooms converted into Libraries. Some shelving 2 & 3 books deep!!
3 Feb, 2014
2014-2-3 12:02:01 AM UTC
Crazy completists :)
3 Feb, 2014
2014-2-3 12:23:56 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

No argument from me. Completely agree with you - Crazy!

But for some reason, I get immense personal satisfaction and enjoyment from collecting. Logically it makes no sense at all (unless you looked at it from an investment/asset accumulation/capital-inflation-currency protection point of view maybe - could make the case anyway).

But gotta do something to kill time until death.......

Probably could spend the time doing something a little more beneficial to society in general though.
3 Feb, 2014
2014-2-3 8:37:07 AM UTC

remy wrote:

Stu wrote:

No argument from me. Completely agree with you - Crazy!

But for some reason, I get immense personal satisfaction and enjoyment from collecting. Logically it makes no sense at all (unless you looked at it from an investment/asset accumulation/capital-inflation-currency protection point of view maybe - could make the case anyway).

But gotta do something to kill time until death.......

Probably could spend the time doing something a little more beneficial to society in general though.

I definitely respect the commitment of the completist collector! I thought about it for about 5 minutes before realising that just the postage would kill me (never mind the price of the books)! There are a lot of books that I would still like to get, mind, but I think I'm going to have a bit of a quiet spell for the next 5 or so years until the Hobbit movies have faded from peoples' minds. Hopefully PJ won't make any more ME movies after the next one.
4 Feb, 2014
2014-2-4 4:52:19 PM UTC
It is probably no surprise but I also collect paperbacks, I find some of them harder to find than hardbacks
4 Feb, 2014
2014-2-4 8:31:03 PM UTC
I guess you already know I am a completist!

Would you completists mind checking your 7-volume boxed LR sets?
It looks like the impression numbering was not reset back to no. 1 when the 2012 edition was issued, so I would like to determine the last impression of the 2001 edition and the first of the 2012 edition.
10 Feb, 2014
2014-2-10 10:37:53 PM UTC
Pages for three volume and seven volume editions of The Lord of the Rings updated.
Nothing spectacular really, but the identical covers on the A- and B-format film tie-in paperbacks with overlapping ISBNs are bound to confuse.
15 Feb, 2014
2014-2-15 1:41:44 PM UTC
Hi, Deagol.

My A-formats of those LOTR film tie-ins are 7th impressions - a couple higher than you've listed.
15 Feb, 2014
2014-2-15 2:45:53 PM UTC
Thanks.

I have also made some updates to various pages for Folio Society editions, based on info gleaned from Folio 60, a bibliography of FS publications.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us