Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

2 Feb, 2014
2014-2-2 1:58:19 PM UTC
Stop buying & collecting paperbacks then!

BH
2 Feb, 2014
2014-2-2 9:11:52 PM UTC
That's a bit rich coming from THE Silmarillion Collector!
2 Feb, 2014
2014-2-2 9:27:45 PM UTC
But I'm not the one on here (remy! ) talking about how I'm struggling to keep up with Tolkien paperback publications! I'm keeping up with Silmarillion paperback publications just fine...

BH
2 Feb, 2014
2014-2-2 10:04:18 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
Stop buying & collecting paperbacks then!

BH

Just as a matter of interest, do many of the people on here collect paperbacks? I have the odd (older) boxed set, but otherwise, I've always considered paperbacks to be not worth the effort of collecting, especially as new they aren't as nearly cheap as they should be for the (lack of) quality.
2 Feb, 2014
2014-2-2 10:29:18 PM UTC

Just as a matter of interest, do many of the people on here collect paperbacks? I have the odd (older) boxed set, but otherwise, I've always considered paperbacks to be not worth the effort of collecting, especially as new they aren't as nearly cheap as they should be for the (lack of) quality.

Yep! Unfortunately being cursed with being a completist collector means I buy everything (and I mean everything - all the garbage - including garbage criticsim - I even have both paperbacks and hardback versions of much of the criticism and even different imprints). Also collect US and Canadian editions of most of Tolkien's works and foreign language editions of the Hobbit (and some foreign editions of the LOTR - and just a few foreign language editions of other works).

There! That's my sad confession........
2 Feb, 2014
2014-2-2 11:03:03 PM UTC
Like you I have some of the early paperback editions (unwin allen, ballantine, methuen, ace), but tend to focus on american and uk hardcovers. I imagine anyone being a completest would have to add an addition to their house to store all the different hardcover and softcover versions that have been produced.
2 Feb, 2014
2014-2-2 11:06:00 PM UTC

I imagine anyone being a completest would have to add an addition to their house to store all the different hardcover and softcover versions that have been produced.

Indeed. 2 Large Rooms converted into Libraries. Some shelving 2 & 3 books deep!!
3 Feb, 2014
2014-2-3 12:02:01 AM UTC
Crazy completists :)
3 Feb, 2014
2014-2-3 12:23:56 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

No argument from me. Completely agree with you - Crazy!

But for some reason, I get immense personal satisfaction and enjoyment from collecting. Logically it makes no sense at all (unless you looked at it from an investment/asset accumulation/capital-inflation-currency protection point of view maybe - could make the case anyway).

But gotta do something to kill time until death.......

Probably could spend the time doing something a little more beneficial to society in general though.
3 Feb, 2014
2014-2-3 8:37:07 AM UTC

remy wrote:

Stu wrote:

No argument from me. Completely agree with you - Crazy!

But for some reason, I get immense personal satisfaction and enjoyment from collecting. Logically it makes no sense at all (unless you looked at it from an investment/asset accumulation/capital-inflation-currency protection point of view maybe - could make the case anyway).

But gotta do something to kill time until death.......

Probably could spend the time doing something a little more beneficial to society in general though.

I definitely respect the commitment of the completist collector! I thought about it for about 5 minutes before realising that just the postage would kill me (never mind the price of the books)! There are a lot of books that I would still like to get, mind, but I think I'm going to have a bit of a quiet spell for the next 5 or so years until the Hobbit movies have faded from peoples' minds. Hopefully PJ won't make any more ME movies after the next one.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us