Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

17 Nov, 2020
2020-11-17 7:29:47 PM UTC
Is Tolkien collecting active on FaceBook? I don't (and won't) get involved with social media as I think it is a cancer (the single best mental health decision I have ever made was to abandon FB a few years ago), but I'd guess people's motivations might be more clear on a platform like that with a large and presumably vocal user base?
17 Nov, 2020
2020-11-17 7:44:39 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Is Tolkien collecting active on FaceBook? I don't (and won't) get involved with social media as I think it is a cancer (the single best mental health decision I have ever made was to abandon FB a few years ago), but I'd guess people's motivations might be more clear on a platform like that with a large and presumably vocal user base?

There is a Tolkien Buy, Sell, Show-off, and Trade page in FB that a lot of us on there use.
17 Nov, 2020
2020-11-17 10:53:59 PM UTC

remy wrote:

Berelach wrote:

It's amazing to see what word of mouth will do to the value of a book. Like you say, it (and other editions that are currently popular) might not even be rare or scarce in the first place. The internet continues to change collecting. Anyone can look at the values of older Tolkien paperbacks... are there any (not including scholarly stuffs) that go for more than £100? I can't think of any individually.

Blackie Hobbit
Cuban 1st Hobbit
Argentina 1st Hobbit

and a few other Hobbit translations that were first issued in Paperback

I was just thinking of English language versions, I should have clarified... but I don't know why I didn't consider the Blackie edition... who knows what that would even go for as we never see it!
17 Nov, 2020
2020-11-17 10:59:01 PM UTC
The Puffin Hobbit is another one that I think has reasonable bibligraphical/collectible status. It's probably also a good example of one that isn't that rare (even after all these years) but usually gets a high price, and also it varies widely in what prices it can achieve (probably based on condition, but also who happens to see the listings).
17 Nov, 2020
2020-11-17 11:00:36 PM UTC
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: orston_books
(2763)
Ended Nov 23, 2020
This item ended more than 90 days ago
Seller: obeliskbooks
(550)
Ended Nov 19, 2020
Seller: cranswick-books
(771)
Ended Jan 11, 2021
17 Nov, 2020
2020-11-17 11:07:04 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

The Puffin Hobbit is another one that I think has reasonable bibligraphical/collectible status. It's probably also a good example of one that isn't that rare (even after all these years) but usually gets a high price, and also it varies widely in what prices it can achieve (probably based on condition, but also who happens to see the listings).

The 1st Printing of the 1966 Hobbit, Unwin Books Paperback (3rd Edition, 16th Impression) is another and I guess could well go over £100 for a nice copy. Still only seen one in the last 15 years - don't know why that is.
17 Nov, 2020
2020-11-17 11:26:25 PM UTC

Berelach wrote:

remy wrote:

Berelach wrote:

It's amazing to see what word of mouth will do to the value of a book. Like you say, it (and other editions that are currently popular) might not even be rare or scarce in the first place. The internet continues to change collecting. Anyone can look at the values of older Tolkien paperbacks... are there any (not including scholarly stuffs) that go for more than £100? I can't think of any individually.

Blackie Hobbit
Cuban 1st Hobbit
Argentina 1st Hobbit

and a few other Hobbit translations that were first issued in Paperback

I was just thinking of English language versions, I should have clarified... but I don't know why I didn't consider the Blackie edition... who knows what that would even go for as we never see it!

The Blackie edition is an oddity. I wonder if it wasn't documented on Tolkienbooks.net whether anyone would care that much about an Indian edition (though it is - of course linked by corporate ownership to GA&U)? I'd be surprised if there weren't bootleg Hobbits in India, as bootleg books were pretty standard. I have in Indioan bootleg of Spycatcher somewhere from the days when it was banned in the UK.
17 Nov, 2020
2020-11-17 11:38:22 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

The Blackie edition is an oddity. I wonder if it wasn't documented on Tolkienbooks.net whether anyone would care that much about an Indian edition (though it is - of course linked by corporate ownership to GA&U)? I'd be surprised if there weren't bootleg Hobbits in India, as bootleg books were pretty standard. I have in Indioan bootleg of Spycatcher somewhere from the days when it was banned in the UK.

Most would probably not care as much (who knows for sure) - but I know for me - I would care - much in the same way I am interested in the German ELT Hobbit and there is also another Russian English Language Hobbit and a couple of Indonesian ones. Basically english language editions of the Hobbit.
17 Nov, 2020
2020-11-17 11:51:23 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

It isn't even slightly rare. You are right that prices vary wildly, but that does definitely largely seem to be condition-based. You might pay £30 for a very good copy, but three times that for a near fine copy (and probably yet more for "as-new"). Must admit, I don't have a copy - I don't love the way it looks.
17 Nov, 2020
2020-11-17 11:54:00 PM UTC

remy wrote:

Stu wrote:

Most would probably not care as much (who knows for sure) - but I know for me - I would care - much in the same way I am interested in the German ELT Hobbit and there is also another Russian English Language Hobbit and a couple of Indonesian ones. Basically english language editions of the Hobbit.

Yeah, I would certainly like a copy (though I have no expectation of doing so) - I just think the market is quite small (as it would appear is the number of survivors). I have the ELT and I'm interested in getting the black covered Canadian Unwin Hobbit when I see a copy that is good enough (i.e. as new). I'd like the Heroic Tales set with the 1980s editions in, but I only ever seem to see completely knackered copies.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us