Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

7 Jan, 2014
2014-1-7 4:07:47 PM UTC
Pleased to be of service ! Nice to get a wee bargain....hopefully !
7 Jan, 2014
2014-1-7 10:31:34 PM UTC
If you originally placed a pre-order for this back when it was first listed (as I did back in July 2011), then your order now links to this £17.31 entry. The price has been all over the place in the intervening period, but since Amazon honours the lowest price for pre-orders there's no need, really, to pre-order this again, if you had already done so. It's not like the old order links to some defunct entry or anything.

BH
13 May, 2014
2014-5-13 9:40:34 AM UTC
Looked at the text about the release on tolkien.co.uk, now even more confused than ever.

http://www.tolkien.co.uk/product/9780 ... +Facsimile+First+Edition+

The Hobbit was published on 21 September 1937 with a print run of 1,500 copies. With a beautiful cover design by the author and a coloured frontispiece painting, the book proved to be popular and was reprinted within three months, and history was already being made.

The UK first printing has only black and white illustrations.

Asked HarperCollins for some clarification, as it would be nice to know the edition that they plan to use for this release.
13 May, 2014
2014-5-13 4:00:52 PM UTC
Yeh, I just got another email (from Amazon) explaining that the publication date had been put back again; as I'm guessing a few others here did too. I'm guessing this is still planned to be a true facsimile edition; therefore, as you allude, will not have colour plates.

Does anyone get the impression this edition is going to get pulled? I mean, is it really viable for them to trot out this "75th anniversary" line when this book is due to be published 77 years after the first publication?

BH
13 May, 2014 (edited)
2014-5-13 9:22:32 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
Yeh, I just got another email (from Amazon) explaining that the publication date had been put back again; as I'm guessing a few others here did too. I'm guessing this is still planned to be a true facsimile edition; therefore, as you allude, will not have colour plates.

Does anyone get the impression this edition is going to get pulled? I mean, is it really viable for them to trot out this "75th anniversary" line when this book is due to be published 77 years after the first publication?

BH

To the average punter walking into the book store (physically or virtually) and buying it as a gift (which is probably how most will be sold), the anniversary tagline in the box is probably fairly arbitrary. Let's be honest, they have been selling the 50th Anniversary LoTR books for ten years.

I think it will still happen by virtue of the expanded sales window that is currently open due to PJs risible movies. I certainly *hope* it happens as it is one of the few genuinely exciting releases on the cards (excepting Beowulf, of course).
15 May, 2014
2014-5-15 4:23:58 PM UTC
I will hazard a guess that the line "To commemorate the 75th anniversary of publication" will just be dropped from the packaging - as you say, Stu, to the average buyer it will not have any material impact.

I hope to be able to share more details on this edition soon, but have been asked to wait.
18 May, 2014
2014-5-18 1:03:48 PM UTC

Urulöké wrote:
I will hazard a guess that the line "To commemorate the 75th anniversary of publication" will just be dropped from the packaging - as you say, Stu, to the average buyer it will not have any material impact.

I hope to be able to share more details on this edition soon, but have been asked to wait.

Great, looking forward to it, as had no response from HarperCollins to my queries.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us