Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

10 Aug, 2016
2016-8-10 1:56:13 AM UTC
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but...

I'm sorry to see it too. I ordered the the HC 60th anniversary boxed set and was crushed to find it was printed in China when I received it. Outside the usual issues of supporting the local economy (be it the UK for HC or the US for HM), there's absolutely a quality difference between this set and my US-printed Hobbit and UK-printed single-volume 50th anniversary LotR. Finally, and I'm not quite sure how to articulate this, I just feel it's at odds with Tolkien's legacy. I'm not an expert, but I somehow feel he wouldn't be happy about it. In any case, it won't be going on my shelf.

Does anyone have a copy of this set (A11) printed in the UK? Was A2 printed in China?
10 Aug, 2016
2016-8-10 7:29:54 AM UTC
My copy of A11 was printed in Italy by Lego SPA, not printed in the UK.
10 Aug, 2016
2016-8-10 9:05:20 AM UTC

Nilonym wrote:
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but...

I'm sorry to see it too. I ordered the the HC 60th anniversary boxed set and was crushed to find it was printed in China when I received it. Outside the usual issues of supporting the local economy (be it the UK for HC or the US for HM), there's absolutely a quality difference between this set and my US-printed Hobbit and UK-printed single-volume 50th anniversary LotR. Finally, and I'm not quite sure how to articulate this, I just feel it's at odds with Tolkien's legacy. I'm not an expert, but I somehow feel he wouldn't be happy about it. In any case, it won't be going on my shelf.

Does anyone have a copy of this set (A11) printed in the UK? Was A2 printed in China?

Mine is the first printing (i.e. 6th), and is Lego, SPA. I agree with you that the current Chinese production feels at odds with the author and material, and you are not the first to comment on the low production quality of the Chinese three-volume LOTR.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us