Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

7 Jun, 2016
2016-6-7 12:30:47 AM UTC

Urulöké wrote:
Per Stu's notes, here are the currently available Easton Press titles:

http://www.eastonpress.com/Books/Sear ... kien&cm_st=1&cm_s=tolkien

I will also admit that on eBay these titles can get higher than retail prices (often because of overseas buyers not able to buy through the EP website).

I think it also because some of them were OOP for a while (such as Atlas, Lost Tales I, II, UT) and prices became elevated due to lack of availability as they had all only had a single print. These four were all reprinted by EP within the last 6 months, so I think there will be plentiful supply for quite some time.

The LOTR/Sil/Hobbit set was also recently reprinted, but those are pretty much in continuous supply with the occasional gap in availability.

Beowulf and Fall of Arthur are currently OOP. FoA definitely has had two printings so far.

Obviously, as we are talking about EP, none of the books have any indication of which printing they are. I think the only EP Tolkien book one can guarantee won't be reprinted is the Robert Foster Guide, as they no longer have the rights.
8 Jun, 2016
2016-6-8 3:26:21 AM UTC
Just another thought. If any of my listings interest you please send me an email as I would be willing to deal anything I am selling directly through PayPal, which could help the price as eBay charges a 10% fee on the selling price.

Thanks!
9 Jun, 2016
2016-6-9 2:09:52 PM UTC
Peeta,

A bit of advise, you may want to look again at your prices in order to sell, as an example

Children of Hurin Superdeluxe

This item can be bought on eBay for much less than your copy, but even cheaper if you buy from HarperCollins.

eBay

eBay Item #142017743502

USD $577

HarperCollins

http://www.tolkien.co.uk/product/9780 ... e+Children+of+H%c3%barin+

USD $506

I don't think anyone will pay $1500 for your copy at the moment, but also look at the prices on the other items you have for sale.
9 Jun, 2016
2016-6-9 8:49:20 PM UTC
I appreciate your advice Trotter, and I have realized the situation with the CoH is not what I initially expected. But the thing is that I am not in a hurry to sell anything, and everything I have sold so far has come with some regret. The price on the CoH is the price of what it's worth to me but giving some come down room if someone wants to make an offer. Meaning if I sold it for less than 1000 I would miss the book more than the money I had in my pocket. This is the situation with most of the books, but I do not want to be unfair which is why I have posted them with a best offer attached. The interesting ones to me are the Silmarillions, as I have seem postings that sold for $200 or more. I didn't know they were worth that much, but apparently they are to some. And I actually have wanted a dummy Silmarillion for years but have not been able to buy one :) I'm hoping that this is actually just a hiatus in my collecting, but the need for cash is a little stronger than the collecting bug that bit me years ago!
9 Jun, 2016
2016-6-9 9:02:32 PM UTC
Peeta, I highly doubt standard 1977 editions of The Silmarillion are selling for $200+. Listings, going for those kind of figures, probably aren't legitimate.

BH
9 Jun, 2016
2016-6-9 9:12:00 PM UTC

Peeta wrote:
...The price on the CoH is the price of what it's worth to me but giving some come down room if someone wants to make an offer. Meaning if I sold it for less than 1000 I would miss the book more than the money I had in my pocket. This is the situation with most of the books, but I do not want to be unfair which is why I have posted them with a best offer attached....

I honestly don't really know how to feel about this. To me, it feels a lot like hoping to find a schmuck who doesn't know any better. If the book was not available new from the publisher, that would be an entirely different matter, but I personally would feel uncomfortable taking above RRP for one of these (and I have three of the damn things). That is - of course - just my personal opinion.

Peeta wrote:
This is the situation with most of the books, but I do not want to be unfair which is why I have posted them with a best offer attached.

I read this as "I DO want to be unfair if I can find someone who doesn't know any better and is daft enough".

I don't want to offend, I'm just telling you how it looks.
10 Jun, 2016
2016-6-10 12:16:55 AM UTC
Is it only the CoH super deluxe that rubs you so wrong stu?
10 Jun, 2016 (edited)
2016-6-10 2:08:57 AM UTC

Peeta wrote:
Is it only the CoH super deluxe that rubs you so wrong stu?

Pretty much (although I think the majority of your prices are totally unrealistic). However - and this is key for me - the other books, where available new aren't available for individual sale (and can't necessarily be exported from the US direct from the publisher), so one could be justified in charging a premium (in the EP Books case, a little over double RRP) for the privilege of purchasing individually/internationally.

The SD CoH is available new and for international sale at a third of the price you are asking, so yep, it rubs me up the wrong way, because it is deliberately trying to take advantage of the uninformed. If you can think of a different way of describing it, I'm all ears!

Everyone has their own ethical standards of course, and I'm not saying yours should be the same as mine -- I'm simply highlighting something that doesn't fit with mine (and this is a discussion forum!). It is clear from your initial post that you knew your pricing would be controversial!

Fundamentally, of course, caveat emptor applies, and if people can't be bothered to do their homework, they do deserve the consequences, I suppose.

[Edit: My opinions are purely my own and don't represent anyone else!]
10 Jun, 2016
2016-6-10 12:24:22 PM UTC
Like Stu,

I have three copies of this book, two of which are unopened, sealed and in the original packaging.

I intend to sell them when HarperCollins has sold all of these editions, which could be up to 10-15 years time, hopefully a lot sooner.

I have no expectations or would want to try and sell them for more than the price that HarperCollins are selling them for, which is £350, or just over $500USD.

I do not like taking advantage of buyers who have no knowledge of the current market and pay a lot more than they could get the item for, however very happy to do so with sellers
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us