Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

27 Aug, 2016
2016-8-27 5:25:05 AM UTC
Welcome. I am a relative newcomer myself and am glad to see another poster. The place is so quiet...
27 Aug, 2016
2016-8-27 7:04:21 AM UTC

Tapuvae (Chris) wrote:
Welcome. I am a relative newcomer myself and am glad to see another poster. The place is so quiet...

Book collecting is a fairly minority hobby. Tolkien collecting is a minor part of that minority hobby!
28 Aug, 2016
2016-8-28 11:43:34 PM UTC
Is it true to say that this forum, or any prior version, was more popular 10 years ago? I had a collector, now selling his book collection, comment to me that he knows the market has collapsed for these books and thus ignore the prices he had once hoped for.
29 Aug, 2016 (edited)
2016-8-29 12:51:58 AM UTC
Not sure that has ever been massively popular, but I would go along with the assertion that interest and prices have dropped enormously for anything but very rare stuff. I see that trend continuing. I'd say it peaked 5 or more years ago, earlier for some things. A decade ago, I reckon we saw peak prices for HoME 1sts and HarperCollins black deluxe editions, etc.

Personally, I never had any intention of selling my books (so I consider them to have no monetary value), so falling prices is a positive. Collectors who have a genuine interest can buy the books they want without it breaking the bank.

At the moment, early Hobbits are expensive. In another 5 years, IMHO, they won't be (other than 1st/2nd impressions, of course).
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us