Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

1 Sep, 2016 (edited)
2016-9-1 4:19:55 PM UTC
I'd watch the video, it is very funny, he has no clue

They will not be working into the next millennia, the Tolkien Estate's copyright on items that are J.R.R. Tolkien copyrighted, does not last for ever, only eight years left in some parts of the world.

Canada and New Zealand are examples where due to current copyright laws, anything written by J.R.R. Tolkien would be public domain on the 1st January 2024, as it would 50 years after his death, i.e. he could sell the rings with no license payment after this date in Canada or New Zealand.

The reason that it is not 2023 is that it is the end of the year after the 50th Anniversary.

I think this is why they are stepping up the enforcement, which they are allowed to do, and rightly so as they own the copyright, but also they have a limited time left.
1 Sep, 2016
2016-9-1 8:16:55 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:
I'd watch the video, it is very funny, he has no clue

They will not be working into the next millennia, the Tolkien Estate's copyright on items that are J.R.R. Tolkien copyrighted, does not last for ever, only eight years left in some parts of the world.

Canada and New Zealand are examples where due to current copyright laws, anything written by J.R.R. Tolkien would be public domain on the 1st January 2024, as it would 50 years after his death, i.e. he could sell the rings with no license payment after this date in Canada or New Zealand.

The reason that it is not 2023 is that it is the end of the year after the 50th Anniversary.

I think this is why they are stepping up the enforcement, which they are allowed to do, and rightly so as they own the copyright, but also they have a limited time left.

New Zealand is a signatory to the TPP (and therefore has thrown its citizens under the bus). Under TPP, copyright will be extended substantially, and realistically, works will probably never go into the public domain (some works are going to come back out of the public domain, which is interesting).
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us