Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

12 Mar, 2017
2017-3-12 7:12:20 PM UTC
Just watch that bit for it. No need to spoil your day completely :)

It also has the well known weapon the Twirly Whirly.... the shame of it.

12 Mar, 2017
2017-3-12 8:31:34 PM UTC
Disgraceful
12 Mar, 2017
2017-3-12 9:13:28 PM UTC
It is utterly disgraceful, and even worse is the defense of it by some supposed Tolkien scholars and fans. In the making of material for the Hobbit (I enjoy making of material and in the case of The Hobbit, far more than the actual feature) Philippa Boyens described the reasoning for such changes as 'staying true to Tolkien's larger vision of this story by using his notes'. I missed Tauriel and the love triangle of elf/dwarf/elf in his notes!
12 Mar, 2017
2017-3-12 11:41:06 PM UTC
Yeah, the Hobbit movies were absolute stinkers. I can't get too stressed about them, but at the same time I am completely unable to derive any sense of pleasure from them.

The problem is not that were bad Tolkien (they were), but they were bad storytelling, bad cinematography, etc. They had no redeeming features at all.

The LOTR movies, whilst deeply flawed, were - to my mind - enjoyable in parts. Interestingly, all the bad bits of LOTR (out of place dialogue, superhuman feats, anachronistic behaviour, etc) which spolied those movies were magnified 1000 times in The Hobbit.

I'm not losing any sleep over it, mind. At the end of the day, it is all just fiction, so we need to keep perspective.
13 Mar, 2017
2017-3-13 1:05:16 PM UTC
I think the main reason I was offended by the 3rd movie was the tone in the language. It felt so off, but ultimately you are correct. These are after all just fiction.
14 Mar, 2017
2017-3-14 1:04:39 PM UTC
I enjoyed the LOTR movies. I was able to see them as works "based on the LOTR" and not the LOTR itself so I was only minorly annoyed with deviations from the books but I agree the Hobbit movies were just terrible on almost every level. The only pleasure I can derive from them is some of the art direction and design and I can get that from books about the movie. And I guess I thought Martin Freeman was an inspired casting choice and his performance was impressive overall. Recently I tried rewatching them to enjoy them as "just fantasy movies" but I couldn't make it past first way through the first movie. The Goblin king was so laughably bad it just killed any immersion I had and had to turn it off. Such a wasted opportunity.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us