Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

2 Nov, 2017
2017-11-2 9:35:36 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
Oh, right. I'll get ordering!

BH

These aren't limited, though, right? Is there any advantage in ordering now given they don't come out for a year or so?
2 Nov, 2017
2017-11-2 10:10:41 PM UTC
The normal copies, no. The deluxe is limited to 500 copies. No idea how well these will sell at that price...

Each of the seven authors contributing to catalogue has signed the hand-numbered limitation page, guaranteeing authenticity and making this a truly unique edition for collectors. The edition is strictly limited to 500 copies and is expected to be in high demand.
I'd guess one of those seven authors may be CT; just a guess though. I didn't buy it on that assumption, it just looks like an interesting & significant edition.

BH
3 Nov, 2017 (edited)
2017-11-3 12:03:47 AM UTC
Is the deluxe available to order, already?

Edit: Ahh, I missed that due to no picture on the website. I'm a little torn as it is rather expensive.

Edit 2: What the hell. I recently sold my Motorcycle that has been sitting in the UK unused for 17 years. Proceeds now spent on pre-order.
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 12:39:58 AM UTC
Thanks for the tip-off; ordered!
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 2:04:55 AM UTC
I have ordered a deluxe signed copy myself. I have no idea if these will sell well or be available for a long time from the Bodleian, and I don't mind. It looks to be a fabulous production, I am itching for the silk-screened prints that come only with the deluxe edition, and all of the proceeds go to the Bodleian to support their mission/book collection, so I feel it is money well spent all around.

I do have a feeling that they will sell well, though.
3 Nov, 2017 (edited)
2017-11-3 3:12:36 AM UTC

Urulöké wrote:
I have ordered a deluxe signed copy myself. I have no idea if these will sell well or be available for a long time from the Bodleian, and I don't mind. It looks to be a fabulous production, I am itching for the silk-screened prints that come only with the deluxe edition, and all of the proceeds go to the Bodleian to support their mission/book collection, so I feel it is money well spent all around.

I do have a feeling that they will sell well, though.

I agree. It is undoubtedly on the expensive side, but it does appear to be a quality proposition, and I'd rather buy the occasional first-class item (which on the face of it, this appears to be) than a lot of mediocre items. For import duty reasons, I have ordered it for delivery to the UK, so won't see until next October (wife not yet informed of her future courier duties or cost of book... Need to know basis...).

With regards to the Silk screen prints, my reading was that the cover was silk screen printed. I assume the facsimile items are printed by whatever means is appropriate to the item.
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 5:27:13 AM UTC
I assume they collect payment at time of pre-order?
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 5:38:23 AM UTC
Ooh nice. Thanks for sharing. I’m glad I didn’t spend money on the crap HOME set.

Do you know when the card is charged? I’ll have to use a Visa debit card so I’m wondering how they handle cancellations/refunds as I’m in Australia.
3 Nov, 2017 (edited)
2017-11-3 6:00:37 AM UTC

Eorl wrote:
Ooh nice. Thanks for sharing. I’m glad I didn’t spend money on the crap HOME set.

Do you know when the card is charged? I’ll have to use a Visa debit card so I’m wondering how they handle cancellations/refunds as I’m in Australia.

Charged right away. I'd be using a credit card if you can. That way if there is a problem, you can probably hit up your card provider (although you might not know until after the chargeback period expires, I suppose).

Edit: For advance purchases, it appears that chargebacks are available until 150 days after the expected delivery date. Not that I'd expect to have a problem with the Bodleian. I think they would be about as safe a bet as one could find.
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 8:33:21 AM UTC
Thanks Stu. I’m in a bit of a quandary as I only have Amex, uhh!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us