Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 3:46:24 PM UTC
The deluxe ordering page is currently offline. The unofficial news I have seen is that the deluxe book will *not* be signed by the seven authors, so they are revamping the description of the book. No idea if other changes are coming as well, yet. More news when I can share!
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 6:20:29 PM UTC
Just confirmed - the collector's edition will *not* be signed. Also, the print run will be *600* copies, not 500 as was in the listing yesterday.

[edit] Also, the book is due to be published mid-June, 2018. Payment collected at time of order, not dispatch.
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 7:25:21 PM UTC

Urulöké wrote:
Just confirmed - the collector's edition will *not* be signed. Also, the print run will be *600* copies, not 500 as was in the listing yesterday.

[edit] Also, the book is due to be published mid-June, 2018. Payment collected at time of order, not dispatch.

Yeah, I have actually cancelled my order for the time-being. Will just re-order when the details of the book are a little clearer, depending on what the final book contains. I don't necessarily think I can justify the collectors edition over the regular hardback just for the facsimile items, but will watch and wait and jump back in when the description is fully updated and pictures are available.
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 7:28:22 PM UTC
What was the price on the Deluxe edition, £200?
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 7:29:32 PM UTC

Velmeran wrote:
What was the price on the Deluxe edition, £200?

£275.
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 7:48:42 PM UTC
Urulöké, have you had categorical confirmation that the book will be entirely unsigned? It may be wishful thinking, but I sort of read it as all seven authors wouldn't be signing it. The 500/600 limitation is unimportant, obviously.

BH
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 7:56:16 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
Urulöké, have you had categorical confirmation that the book will be entirely unsigned? It may be wishful thinking, but I sort of read it as all seven authors wouldn't be signing it. The 500/600 limitation is unimportant, obviously.

BH

I imagine I received the same information as you guys. I guess it is not entirely clear:

"- The detail in the description that mentions that it will be signed by each author is unfortunately not the case
- The print run is 600, not 500"

I read that as it won't be signed at all, but I guess it could also be read as won't be signed by all the authors (but will be signed by some of them). I'm happy to just wait and see. Easy enough to re-order when there is more clarity, I think. Not like it is going to sell out overnight.
3 Nov, 2017
2017-11-3 9:19:34 PM UTC
I was speaking with Carl Hostetter last night (one of the contributors), and he reached out to the editor to get an answer for me, and in his words "I asked the editor of the volume about their plans for us contributors signing the limitation pages, about which I had not heard a peep from the press, and it looks like that’s no longer planned."
4 Nov, 2017
2017-11-4 2:41:43 AM UTC

Urulöké wrote:
I was speaking with Carl Hostetter last night (one of the contributors), and he reached out to the editor to get an answer for me, and in his words "I asked the editor of the volume about their plans for us contributors signing the limitation pages, about which I had not heard a peep from the press, and it looks like that’s no longer planned."

A shame that they seem to have downgraded the offering. I'll definitely be picking up the regular hardback next July (which looks really nice), but the deluxe edition is honestly going to be a bit of a big ask, if you conisder it will really be £235 extra for the 5 facsimile "sheets" and a booklet (effectively £47 per sheet). The sensible part of me is saying "no".
4 Nov, 2017
2017-11-4 4:17:00 AM UTC
Well, looking at what they did for the collector's edition of "Marks of Genius":
This Collector’s Edition of Marks of Genius designed in the Bodleian Library is quarterbound in Nigerian goatskin with gold tooling and blind blocking on the spine and front cover, and comes with a matching blocked, lined slipcase.

That's what I expect this edition to have too - a really nice binding and slipcase in high end materials of some sort. So I expect the higher price will include that in addition to the booklet and facsimile "sheets".
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us