Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

By Stu
Home away from home

Damn Hobbits are still breeding

7 Aug, 2017 (edited)
2017-8-7 11:15:50 PM UTC

I've purchased too many books lately (albeit still not THAT many -- maybe 4 in three months..). Still, wife has made the odd comment...

Got a nice 1959 Hobbit. Seems unread (still very stiff to open). Has some toning to the jacket, but otherwise better than most. One step closer to catching up with Trotter.

Also picked up a 1969 1st Deluxe LoTR in nice condition. Won't get it until wife's parents come out here later in the year, but was happy with the condition (a bit of damage to one corner of the base of the slipcase. £109 including shipping seemed OK (but not a book I have really tracked price-wise over the years). I'll probably offset the cost by selling my 1972, so I'm considering it a £60 upgrade (or so I will be justifying to wife...)

228_5988f44cd68cb.png 1073X848 px

228_5988f4594fd8e.png 1000X658 px
8 Aug, 2017
2017-8-8 9:00:25 PM UTC
Nice moves!
9 Aug, 2017
2017-8-9 9:34:19 AM UTC

Berelach wrote:
Nice moves!

Yeah, I don't seem to find much of interest these days, so it is nice to find the odd quality book. Half a dozen books a year to scratch the itch, and I'm more than happy.

There definitely seem to be more and more Hobbits coming onto the market, just not generally priced at where anyone is willing to purchase them. A couple of years back, there weren't any 1967 copies on Abe (for example) and there are currently several. And in terms of 1937 copies with dust jackets, there are loads, just all at very high prices. I definitely feel like prices will continue to soften generally.

I'm not sure if I have the energy to spreadsheet the prices like I did a couple of years ago, sadly -- as it would be quite interesting to see what the difference is in prices and volumes.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us