Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

14 Sep, 2017
2017-9-14 2:17:12 AM UTC
The Antiquarian, I wonder if we know each other. I also collected vintage Star Wars toys and various other things. And now you know why third party grading is so popular in vintage toys, comics, coins, etc. I am about 2-3 years into the book hobby and find myself continuously disappointed as well. New books don't even come in mint condition because sellers pack them so poorly.

I have been looking for one of these for some time now.

http://tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=62330

I bought one and the slipcase was damaged structurally. Returned. I am trying to finish this set because one of my first major purchases was this set

http://tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=43400

Despite asking repeatedly about spine rubbing (which is so common you can even see it here) and being told repeatedly it was perfect, well, it was not. Better than most I had seen offered but still some slight rubbing.
14 Sep, 2017
2017-9-14 9:52:23 AM UTC
So let's put this out there for discussion then: why do you seek these perfect, unmarked copies? Why do you not want to own books that show signs of wear &/or previous ownership? I can guess the answer(s), but curious nonetheless...

BH
14 Sep, 2017
2017-9-14 10:18:04 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
So let's put this out there for discussion then: why do you seek these perfect, unmarked copies? Why do you not want to own books that show signs of wear &/or previous ownership? I can guess the answer(s), but curious nonetheless...

BH

I prefer books to be in fine condition if possible, just because they are more visually appealing. And realistically, the only point of collecting lots of editions of the same book is because they are nice to look at (coupled with the fun of the chase, I guess). If you *can* find a fine copy and it doesn't cost any more than a not so good copy, why would you buy anything other than the fine one, unless you were in a particular hurry?

I do think there is a point where one can be too fanatical, though -- books are made from materials that age and expecting anything different is probably a road to disappointment. I see people who keep their books in shrinkwrap and I think "really, what is the point?".
14 Sep, 2017
2017-9-14 1:33:13 PM UTC
As my favourite Tolkien book is The Hobbit, which is a children's book, and if I only looked to find early copies (first to fourth editions) in unread or mint condition, I would not have many or indeed any copies in my collection.

Books are intended to be read and often were, and as such they probably have condition issues.

As a book collector, I have accepted this.
14 Sep, 2017
2017-9-14 2:08:55 PM UTC
Surely there are exceptions and for these early editions it isn't an either or thing. You buy the copy you can afford basically. But for books that aren't particularly rare that were largely made to be collected (like the editions I linked to above) the expectation is that they weren't read, maybe thumbed through, but that's it. How many people use the COH SD for their reading copy?

Speaking of early editions, anyone following the sets offered on Heritage this month? I'd love to hear opinions on the first, first Hobbit, especially the restored jacket.
14 Sep, 2017
2017-9-14 3:34:50 PM UTC

Tapuvae (Chris) wrote:

Speaking of early editions, anyone following the sets offered on Heritage this month? I'd love to hear opinions on the first, first Hobbit, especially the restored jacket.

Don't know about this, can you provide a link?
14 Sep, 2017
2017-9-14 4:31:04 PM UTC

Tapuvae (Chris) wrote:
The Antiquarian, I wonder if we know each other. I also collected vintage Star Wars toys and various other things. And now you know why third party grading is so popular in vintage toys, comics, coins, etc. I am about 2-3 years into the book hobby and find myself continuously disappointed as well. New books don't even come in mint condition because sellers pack them so poorly.

I have been looking for one of these for some time now.

http://tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=62330

I bought one and the slipcase was damaged structurally. Returned. I am trying to finish this set because one of my first major purchases was this set

http://tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=43400

Despite asking repeatedly about spine rubbing (which is so common you can even see it here) and being told repeatedly it was perfect, well, it was not. Better than most I had seen offered but still some slight rubbing.

Greetings Tapuvae! I am overjoyed to meet someone who also enjoys the beauty offered by Star Wars action figures! You are absolutely right about the existence of third party grading services making collectors' lives much easier. I never truly appreciated their service until I started book collecting.

I see that you are seeking the Hobbits Deluxe Illustrated Edition. This is purely a coincidence, but the stated edition is the very first book that I purchased as part of my Tolkien book collecting, directly from Mr. Pieter who runs Tolkien Library website. It is not in "fine" condition per say, but as this is the book that started it all on my Tolkien collecting binge, it holds sentimental value for me. I also purchased the Silmarillion Deluxe Illustrated Edition and that is when I decided to collect all things Silmarillion!

It has been several days since I posted my original thread and I have received two more First Edition Domestic and Export Edition Silmarillion. Upon receiving those copies, I once again wanted to rip all the pages off the book. I asked numerous times to both sellers and they adamantly stated that there are no flaws. Well, the domestic copy has several pages slightly torn and the export copy's map attached to the back of the book, is torn. Both from Abebook.com!

After receiving four copies of First Edition Silmarilions in shitty condition although I was promised by the sellers that hey are pristine and flawless, I am thinking of changing my collecting direction.

Instead of playing this lottery with unscrupulous sellers, I am thinking about attuning my collection to rare edition copies including the previously specified Deluxe Illustrated Edition and other Limited Deluxe Signed Copies of the Silmarillion.
14 Sep, 2017
2017-9-14 4:36:38 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

They do exist, though (I have one, which was boxed with other GA&U books until I purchased it a decade ago, and which I keep in a dark drawer, rather than on the shelf), but we are now talking about a 40 year old book, and there can't be THAT many copies kept essentially in a box / out of light for their entire life.

Mr. Stu, I am very much intrigued. By any chance, have you taken pictures of this beautiful copy of Silmarillion in pristine condition? I would very much like to see it and use it as a reference when I purchase other Silmarillion!

I have been continuously receiving crappy copies of the so called "Fine" condition Silmarillion by unscrupulous sellers that now I am at the point of hallucinating that these damaged books are actually in "fine" conditions.
14 Sep, 2017 (edited)
2017-9-14 9:02:13 PM UTC

Tapuvae (Chris) wrote:
Surely there are exceptions and for these early editions it isn't an either or thing. You buy the copy you can afford basically. But for books that aren't particularly rare that were largely made to be collected (like the editions I linked to above) the expectation is that they weren't read, maybe thumbed through, but that's it. How many people use the COH SD for their reading copy?

This is definitely the case. Early Hobbits (the first 4) would be an example of titles that are just too expensive (for me) to purchase in anything other than poor condition. Realistically, I'll likely never collect the first 3 impressions, as I'm happy enough with my tatty 4th (which was very cheap!).

I think my condition expectation with Hobbits slowly increases throughout the second edition, and from the late 1950s onward, I don't see much point in buying anything other than near fine (or close to). I genuinely don't care whether I buy the book now or in a decade, which gives a lot more likelihood of buying a nice book at a sensible price.

For the modern collector editions, I figure you might as well get fine copies, as very few of them will have been read anyway. That said, I largely lost interest in books that were created specifically to be collectables. I don't have them all, and have no interest in collecting the ones I haven't got. I find standard editions of (older) books to be a lot more "honest". The pleasure I get from finding (for example) a really nice Longman's Hobbit far exceeds that which I get from acquiring a deluxe edition.
14 Sep, 2017
2017-9-14 9:05:39 PM UTC

The_Antiquarian wrote:

Mr. Stu, I am very much intrigued. By any chance, have you taken pictures of this beautiful copy of Silmarillion in pristine condition? I would very much like to see it and use it as a reference when I purchase other Silmarillion!

I'm sure I posted some pictures up here at one point when previously discussing Sils, but finding the thread is probably impossible. I'll either dig out some existing photos or take some for you.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us