Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

14 Sep, 2017 (edited)
2017-9-14 11:32:38 PM UTC
As requested, pictures of my copy (without the mylar protector). Even with this copy, one can find slight imperfections, but one has to be realistic -- these are things made out of paper and cloth that had to be bound, packaged, shipped, stored, etc. BUT, there were 250,000 copies printed -- that is a lot to choose from.

228_59bb10deaf882.jpg 1280X960 px

228_59bb10fc918da.jpg 1632X1224 px

228_59bb111b54be8.jpg 1632X1224 px

228_59bb115260f63.jpg 1632X1224 px
15 Sep, 2017
2017-9-15 12:05:40 AM UTC
https://historical.ha.com/itm/books/sc ... &tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Heritage uses beautiful large format images as well. There was a second Hobbit and two lots for LOTR in this auction as well, it slipped my mind that it closed today.

I haven't done my homework on these early editions to know what flaws to look for or if this jacket is respectable or acceptable to the book world (28k dollars suggests so). Also, I may be spending too much time in the comic art and vintage toy world, because if this is really the cream of the crop then 28k is really quite a low value. This doesn't come near top end pieces in any of the other things I collect.
15 Sep, 2017 (edited)
2017-9-15 12:15:02 AM UTC

Tapuvae (Chris) wrote:
https://historical.ha.com/itm/books/sc ... &tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Heritage uses beautiful large format images as well. There was a second Hobbit and two lots for LOTR in this auction as well, it slipped my mind that it closed today.

I haven't done my homework on these early editions to know what flaws to look for or if this jacket is respectable or acceptable to the book world (28k dollars suggests so). Also, I may be spending too much time in the comic art and vintage toy world, because if this is really the cream of the crop then 28k is really quite a low value. This doesn't come near top end pieces in any of the other things I collect.

The jacket has had restoration. It would probably have been worth more if it was an unrestored jacket in the same condition. At the end of the day, these early jackets are very delicate, so that copy has a lovely jacket. If it was a 1971 copy, it would be considered a crap jacket (amazing what a difference 35 years and production volume makes). These kinds of books and prices are not even on my radar, though. I wouldn't want the burden of looking after (storing, insuring) that kind of value of book. I'd be getting an inexpensive (in relative terms) copy and using a facsimile jacket, keeping the rest of the money in the bank!

My main observation is that there are more 1937 1sts and 2nds coming to market at the moment, so it feels like that is not a situation where these would be a bankable investment. I could be entirely wrong.
15 Sep, 2017
2017-9-15 2:07:35 AM UTC
Its pretty amazing how you (well I) cannot see the restoration except from the backside. It looks like they took an other jacket and welded the paper together. Is that generally how this would work? Or is the restoration a complete fabrication. They, conveniently, don't disclose this kind of information.

I am not really looking to spend 28k on a book either, but I was referencing the fact that 28k can buy you an ok piece of original comic art where the top top pieces are in the 500-700k range now. For vintage Star Wars toys, 28k can buy you a lot of common stuff but maybe 1-2 rare and high grade items. I sold my collection several years ago and that collection would now be worth upwards of 50-75k. But a 1st edition Hobbit - I just can't see the upward pricing pressure for an item like this. Still as a "1 and done" if that's your thing, I bet Harry Potter books sell in this range (or more) now.
15 Sep, 2017
2017-9-15 2:21:50 AM UTC

Tapuvae (Chris) wrote:
Its pretty amazing how you (well I) cannot see the restoration except from the backside. It looks like they took an other jacket and welded the paper together. Is that generally how this would work? Or is the restoration a complete fabrication. They, conveniently, don't disclose this kind of information.

Suitable (usually old and salvaged) paper is normally added to replace the missing areas (and blended in by abrading the edges using very fine abrasive media) and bonded using a reversible adhesive (such as wheat paste). Tears are repaired using japanese paper and wheat paste. The missing material is then painted in using acrylic paints. The idea is that such restorations should be completely reversible (although proving that this is the case would be tricky). I've seen non-Tolkien jacket restorations that look incredible, even down to washing the jacket and drying it between two panes of glass. Not a cheap process, and probably not many people capable of doing it.
15 Sep, 2017
2017-9-15 10:32:57 AM UTC

Stu wrote:
As requested, pictures of my copy (without the mylar protector). Even with this copy, one can find slight imperfections, but one has to be realistic -- these are things made out of paper and cloth that had to be bound, packaged, shipped, stored, etc. BUT, there were 250,000 copies printed -- that is a lot to choose from.

Jesus Christ... that is the most beautiful book I have ever seen. Your copy looks like it has been printed yesterday. Thank you very much for sharing the most elegant copy of the Silmarillion I have ever seen!

Is it 1st Impression and 1st Edition as well? Also, is this the Domestic or Export issue?

Lastly.... Mr. Stu, what do I have to do to get this copy from you?!!!?
15 Sep, 2017
2017-9-15 11:00:31 AM UTC

The_Antiquarian wrote:

Stu wrote:

Jesus Christ... that is the most beautiful book I have ever seen. Your copy looks like it has been printed yesterday. Thank you very much for sharing the most elegant copy of the Silmarillion I have ever seen!

Is it 1st Impression and 1st Edition as well? Also, is this the Domestic or Export issue?

Lastly.... Mr. Stu, what do I have to do to get this copy from you?!!!?

Ha Ha - Sadly, not for sale! It is the first impression of the domestic (Billings) edition.

It is proof that really good copies do exist, though. I was lucky, as that was the first (and only) copy of this edition that I purchased, and I bought it - along with an Unfinished Tales 1st in the same condition - without seeing any photos.
15 Sep, 2017
2017-9-15 3:17:18 PM UTC
I'm not sure if I have a copy quite that perfect (i.e. under the light there is not a scratch on it; which I suspect is how good Stu's copy really is), but it's not that difficult to find jackets which looked literally unmarked; covering correspondingly fine books. Look at the differences in spines in my collection from five years back, below. The top shelf copies are various first impressions, including signed copies. Several of these have jackets that I'd struggle to find fault with. I also bought a dummy copy a few years back which is in impeccable condition. There are plenty of nice copies out there. It's pretty simple: if you don't want a faded spine, get a photograph of this before you commit to buying (as Stu said earlier).

BH

125_59bbeeac84d9c.jpg 3000X4000 px
15 Sep, 2017
2017-9-15 8:00:46 PM UTC
That is such a ridiculous collection :)

And 40 years old today.
15 Sep, 2017
2017-9-15 9:14:29 PM UTC
That's actually only about half of it, and five years out-of-date...

BH
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us