Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

25 Oct, 2017
2017-10-25 3:03:34 PM UTC
You can pay a lot of money for this, or you can just commission a local binder/leather worker to do it relatively cheaply with a custom design of your choice. Leather, gilt, embossing, etc.

Check Etsy and similar sites, you’ll be surprised at the amount of talent freelancers have.

Just food for thought :)
25 Oct, 2017
2017-10-25 5:23:10 PM UTC
The_Antiquarian, I know nothing about Asprey & Garrard beyond what I've posted. I'm merely stating the facts about this particular book as I see it.

I agree with Eorl. "Fine bindings", unless you're after a copy specifically bound by a particular famous bookbinder, are probably better (certainly to begin with) commissioned from someone cheaper &/or perhaps local. Probably a more enjoyable experience.

BH
25 Oct, 2017
2017-10-25 8:50:52 PM UTC
Just to add to the sentiment. I think re-binding should definitely be done for personal enjoyment; I suspect that the cost of the rebinding is never recouped if you want to sell later on. A key part of this is that what person A has chosen to commission is unlikely to be exactly what person B wants, and in the case of a Silmarillion 1st, a £10 book, so one is going to pay a permium for an existing rebind if they can just go out and have someone do a rebind that suits their personal tastes more perfectly.

I personally really liked this one from a few years back:

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/tolkien-book-store/000941.htm

Not sure if David Miller had the binding commissioned for that one or if he just resold it, but I always felt it was a very nice job.
5 Nov, 2017
2017-11-5 9:12:58 AM UTC
Hello friends, thank you all for the help!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us