Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

5 Nov, 2017
2017-11-5 8:18:41 PM UTC
If it was a Hobbit I was after, I'd buy a nice condition first (without jacket), stick a facsimile jacket on it (which cost nothing and adds no value, but looks nice), and put it in a nice leather-bound solander case.

But if you really want a rebind, go ahead, but have the expectation that the market for unmolested copies is greater than the market for rebinds.
5 Nov, 2017
2017-11-5 10:16:25 PM UTC
generally, I agree with the posts above - with the addition that it's not a good idea to buy a book as an investment. I buy books because I like them.

But to answer one of your questions - Bayntun's is an old-established firm, and the bindings are excellent. Temple is a new company, relatively speaking. I've never had any of my books bound, but they've made some boxes for me, and I'm very satified with their work. Their bindings look good. Ian Barnes is the owner - he's approachable, and very professional.

I haven't seen any of Chelsea's bindings in the flesh, as it were. Years ago, I heard from a book-dealer thT some staff went to work there from Sangorski Sutcliffe when they ceased trading.
5 Nov, 2017
2017-11-5 11:37:53 PM UTC

I would like a rebound book that will continue to hold its market value (I know that I shouldn't expect any price appreciation since the popularity of Tolkien's work is somewhat dwindling).

For me, this is a problem with what you are trying to achieve. No one can tell you whether a book will lose value, hold value or gain value. The book market is notoriously fickle, and what is fashionable one year may not be so fashionable the next (or the converse).

All I can say is that from personal experience, my books are - without doubt - worth less than I paid for them (which is no big deal as they aren't worth that much and I'll never sell them anyway). The more expensive the items you are purchasing, the more losing significant sums of money becomes a risk.

It feels from reading your posts that investment is always on the back of your mind, and an expectation that certain names/brands associated with a book will guarantee a preservation of value. I just don't think this is the case. In the case of rebinds, a nice rebind is probably easier to sell than a rubbish rebind, bit I don't see anyone chasing after work done by any specific company. That said, I may move in different circles!
21 Nov, 2017
2017-11-21 9:24:50 AM UTC
Thank you fellow Tolkienists for all the sage advices!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us