Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

[WTB] The Silmarillion Super Deluxe Signed Edition in Fine Condition

21 Nov, 2017
2017-11-21 9:47:35 AM UTC

Greetings!

I am looking to buy the Silmarillion Super Deluxe Signed Edition (xxx of 100) in Fine condition without any shelf-wears, indentations, scratches, foxing, and etc. with original slipcase included.

Please let me know with pricing!

4684_5a13f62967cea.jpg 900X883 px
21 Nov, 2017 (edited)
2017-11-21 9:55:09 AM UTC
This is the only one I can find, does have some condition issues though.

https://affiliates.abebooks.com/c/9724 ... 3Dsnippet-_-srp1-_-title2

As you wanted to know about pricing, I would expect that you would have to pay at least GBP £7000 for this item, that fits your criteria, if you can find one for sale.

Good Luck and let us know if you are successful.
21 Nov, 2017
2017-11-21 11:08:35 AM UTC
I hope you have deep pockets
21 Nov, 2017
2017-11-21 3:27:46 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:
This is the only one I can find, does have some condition issues though.

https://affiliates.abebooks.com/c/9724 ... 3Dsnippet-_-srp1-_-title2

As you wanted to know about pricing, I would expect that you would have to pay at least GBP £7000 for this item, that fits your criteria, if you can find one for sale.

Good Luck and let us know if you are successful.

Thank you very much! I have previously contacted the seller, but due to horrible condition that the book is in, I decided not to purchase it.

You are right about this book requiring a considerable expense, but I do not think it should be anything upward of USD $4-5k since another fellow collector and a trader has been selling the signed versions for around that range for the past several years (and the unsigned for $2-3k).

I am keeping my fingers crossed!
21 Nov, 2017
2017-11-21 3:33:47 PM UTC

The_Antiquarian wrote:
Thank you very much! I have previously contacted the seller, but due to horrible condition that the book is in, I decided not to purchase it.

You are right about this book requiring a considerable expense, but I do not think it should be anything upward of USD $4-5k since another fellow collector and a trader has been selling the signed versions for around that range for the past several years (and the unsigned for $2-3k).

I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Great, let us know if you can find an edition for less than GBP £7000, that fits your criteria?
21 Nov, 2017
2017-11-21 4:48:12 PM UTC
Hi
I really don't thing you will find one for £3500-£4,000 meeting your criteria. Remember these are like hens teeth and people pay a premium for them (right or wrongly)
Now for £6999 I might ponder on it
21 Nov, 2017 (edited)
2017-11-21 4:51:34 PM UTC
What's "horrible" about the #36 copy for sale on ABE?

Need to lower your expectations I think. Also, what's the deal with trying to buy up all these top-end copies of The Silmarillion?

BH
21 Nov, 2017 (edited)
2017-11-21 6:47:20 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
What's "horrible" about the #36 copy for sale on ABE?

Need to lower your expectations I think. Also, what's the deal with trying to buy up all these top-end copies if The Silmarillion?

BH

To be fair, it doesn't look like a great copy. There is obviously damage to the top of the spine, and severe blotching to the leather around the bottom half of the spine (damp related, I'd guess). If I was in the market for spending this kind of money on a book (or a bit more), I personally wouldn't be buying that copy.

These are only scarce books at "sensible" prices, but equally, if you are willing to pay a lot of money, the scarcity problem does drop away somewhat, I suspect.
21 Nov, 2017 (edited)
2017-11-21 11:09:30 PM UTC
Wouldn't describe it as horrible though. It's probably best described as...
... the only numbered copy currently online!

Seriously though, if you're going to pay £5K+ for this then I think you're going to have literally a couple of people to sell it to, should you want to sell it in the future & recoup your money.

BH
22 Nov, 2017
2017-11-22 12:20:41 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
Wouldn't describe it as horrible though. It's probably best described as...
... the only numbered copy currently online!

Seriously though, if you're going to pay £5K+ for this then I think you're going to have literally a couple of people to sell it to, should you want to sell it in the future & recoup your money.

BH

Yeah, 'horrible' might be a bit hyperbolic :)

I'd entirely agree in your comment about the positively tiny market for resale. It wouldn't be where I would spend my money. I haven't sold a book yet, and I wouldn't get (even close to) 5K of pleasure out of looking at it on my shelf. For me, collecting is a fun hobby, rather than a serious pursuit or something that demands huge expenditure. But horses for courses and all that.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us