Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

17 Jul, 2020
2020-7-17 12:03:35 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

Ah, yes, #79. Well, there you go then; that's four copies, including one signed, just this year. Maybe this is a trend, as previously years used to pass without any surfacing...

But equally there were no new signed copies that came up for sale in 2019 (there was one signed copy without original slipcase listed on ABE for some time - have not checked if it has since sold).

So over last 2 years - only one signed copy came up for sale (that I know of - unless I missed one).
17 Jul, 2020
2020-7-17 12:25:20 AM UTC

remy wrote:

Khamûl wrote:

Ah, yes, #79. Well, there you go then; that's four copies, including one signed, just this year. Maybe this is a trend, as previously years used to pass without any surfacing...

But equally there were no new signed copies that came up for sale in 2019 (there was one signed copy without original slipcase listed on ABE for some time - have not checked if it has since sold).

So over last 2 years - only one signed copy came up for sale (that I know of - unless I missed one).

I think CT dying will probably make demand quite strong for signed copies. Even later signed CT copies which were very common (CoH & S&G) have suddenly disappeared off the market since then. I think signed stuff is going to continue to sit in its own special bubble for a while.
17 Jul, 2020
2020-7-17 7:14:39 AM UTC
I was quite surprised to see a CoH Super Deluxe go recently (offer accepted) for something like £800. Seems a bit of an outlier, but those books don't really seem to be that common for sale right now. Certainly, I'd imagine that copy under your bed Stu, you'd easily sell that now for whatever you paid for it + some. (Something you thought not that likely a few years back.)
17 Jul, 2020
2020-7-17 8:48:50 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

I was quite surprised to see a CoH Super Deluxe go recently (offer accepted) for something like £800. Seems a bit of an outlier, but those books don't really seem to be that common for sale right now. Certainly, I'd imagine that copy under your bed Stu, you'd easily sell that now for whatever you paid for it + some. (Something you thought not that likely a few years back.)

I got two of 'em unopened - #3 and something in the hundreds. I think I have #46 of S&G unopened as well. I figure my boy can deal with them in 20 years. Hopefully he will like Tolkien, but this point he can only say "Mama", "Dada", "More", and "Bubbles", so it is early days. Three years away from The Hobbit being read to him, I suspect.
17 Jul, 2020
2020-7-17 9:33:51 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

he can only say "Mama", "Dada", "More", and "Bubbles", so it is early days. Three years away from The Hobbit being read to him, I suspect.

Bubbles is my joint favourite word, with bobbles. Enjoy the few words Stu you will soon remember these days so fondly hehe.
18 Jul, 2020
2020-7-18 5:18:59 PM UTC
Talking about bad timing!
I have been attuning all my focus into collecting George RR Martin's limited edition works for the last year and half, that I neglected to do a thorough followup of Super De Luxe Edition of Silmarillion auctions.

I won't make the same mistake again :)
8 Sep, 2020
2020-9-8 7:26:45 PM UTC

The_Antiquarian wrote:

Talking about bad timing!
I have been attuning all my focus into collecting George RR Martin's limited edition works for the last year and half, that I neglected to do a thorough followup of Super De Luxe Edition of Silmarillion auctions.

I won't make the same mistake again :)

How is that going? I have now got all the Limited Edition versions from Subterannean Press and only missing Game of Thrones from Meisha Merlin... (can't figure out why that one is so hard to come by Vs A Clash of Kings...'.

Moving on to the topic of this post... if anyone ever comes by a Silmarillion Super Deluxe, I've been trying to get my hands on this one for a few year's now... ideally signed. The only copy I can find is on Tolkien Library, but can't seem to get any response from them...
8 Sep, 2020
2020-9-8 8:26:22 PM UTC
I highly doubt that this would be something someone would "come by"...
9 Sep, 2020
2020-9-9 12:30:05 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

I highly doubt that this would be something someone would "come by"...

Agreed. Meant if they see any auctions / listings etc..
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us