Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Hobbit facsimile gift set

23 Jan, 2018 (edited)
2018-1-23 9:53:02 PM UTC

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobbit-Facsim ... collsguid-21&linkCode=osi

This sumptuous gift set includes a replica of the very rare first edition of The Hobbit, the only edition where one can now read the original version of the story before Tolkien re-edited it to become the one enjoyed by readers since 1951.

The Hobbit was published on 21 September 1937, with a print run of 1,500 copies. With a beautiful cover design, nearly a dozen black & white illustrations and two black & red maps by the author himself, the book proved to be popular and was reprinted shortly afterwards. History was already being made.

The scarcity of the first edition has resulted in copies commanding huge prices, way beyond the reach of most Tolkien fans. In addition, subsequent changes to the text – particularly those to chapter 5, when Tolkien decided in 1947 to revise the text to bring it better into accord with events as they were developing in its ‘sequel’, The Lord of the Rings – mean that the opportunity to read the book in its original form and format has become quite difficult.

This special commemorative gift set includes the first edition, so that readers of all ages – not just ‘children between the ages of 5 and 9’, as Rayner Unwin famously declared in his report on the original submission – can finally enjoy Tolkien’s story as it originally appeared. It also includes an exclusive CD of archive recordings that capture Tolkien reading from The Hobbit, a special copy of Thror’s map which reveals the secret moon-runes when held to the light, and an accompanying booklet that relates the history of The Hobbit, and includes connected writings by JRR Tolkien.

10_5a67aebaa8ea8.jpg 1500X2502 px
23 Jan, 2018
2018-1-23 9:56:53 PM UTC
Uh...
23 Jan, 2018
2018-1-23 10:06:19 PM UTC
Looks like the collector's set is finally emerging...

includes

• an exclusive CD of archive recordings that capture Tolkien reading from The Hobbit,

• a special copy of Thror’s map which reveals the secret moon-runes when held to the light,

• and an accompanying booklet that relates the history of The Hobbit, and includes connected writings by JRR Tolkien.
23 Jan, 2018
2018-1-23 10:13:27 PM UTC
So the set with all of the extra items will actually finally see the light of day? Interesting, considering when I made my pre-order on Amazon.co.uk for what ultimately became the Facsimile First Edition back in 2014 it was supposed to include all of that stuff (well maybe not the extra map...)

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/1 ... m-waiting-for-in-2014.php
23 Jan, 2018
2018-1-23 10:25:00 PM UTC
I think the special map, could well be the same as the fold-out map that is in the Deluxe Hobbit, http://tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=26300
23 Jan, 2018
2018-1-23 10:54:33 PM UTC
I'd love to see another attempt at the dustjacket, now we have a better high resolution source with fewer compression artifacts to go from. The last jacket was OK, given the way events played out, but it was always a bit compromised.

At a minimum, this would be a great source for the flaps, even if the rest was too much hassle to re-restore.

I'd do it myself, but not sure I have the energy to do it again (though I'm a sucker for punishment, so....).

228_5a67bcc8ae02c.jpg 8317X3230 px
23 Jan, 2018
2018-1-23 11:00:29 PM UTC
I guess the "CD of previously unreleased archive recordings featuring J.R.R. Tolkien reading from his book" (from the original description) was never really a thing.
24 Jan, 2018
2018-1-24 8:04:02 AM UTC

Berelach wrote:
I guess the "CD of previously unreleased archive recordings featuring J.R.R. Tolkien reading from his book" (from the original description) was never really a thing.

I have discussed the CD with HC, and what is on it. I originally assumed that it was the same material that has already been published, in particular on the Kindle enhanced Hobbit, and I believe that material will be on the audio CD.

They also discussed that they had additional audio that had not so far been published, which I hope will be on this CD.
24 Jan, 2018
2018-1-24 4:51:13 PM UTC
It would really be awesome if they are finally able to release that new recorded material!
24 Jan, 2018
2018-1-24 5:14:01 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

I have discussed the CD with HC, and what is on it. I originally assumed that it was the same material that has already been published, in particular on the Kindle enhanced Hobbit, and I believe that material will be on the audio CD.

They also discussed that they had additional audio that had not so far been published, which I hope will be on this CD.

Thanks Trotter, that's good to hear!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us