Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

28 Jan, 2018
2018-1-28 4:03:54 PM UTC
Thanks Findegil, good feedback.

In reverse order:

- the "post reply" function at the bottom of the page (when reading) underwent some simplification to try and declutter the interface for when just a quick message is wanted. I may have gone overboard there - are you missing any options in particular? It is possible to put most any of them back again and make some other stylistic changes instead. Most of those changes were a while ago though (not in the new site design released yesterday).

- also on the "post reply", the box sizing hasn't been optimized yet. It does not show well on most platforms yet, I agree.

- on text line breaks being different between mobile and desktop - I'll take a look at both and try to improve

- on font sizing: I will make some adjustment to default font sizing, I can see what you mean there. I should be able to make it configurable per user as well, since comfort will vary between users (this may take a bit more time.) Without assigning responsibility to you to fix this, temporarily you can use the "zoom" feature in your browser to adjust the font sizing. There are keyboard shortcuts in most (definitely Chrome and Firefox, at least).

- on long lines of text - I'll play around with some layout choices. Fixing the font size options will definitely help, but there is more that I think can be done.

Thanks again!
28 Jan, 2018
2018-1-28 4:23:15 PM UTC
Having read W&C's comments I too have just noticed the text line breaks issue. This is unfortunate & quite clunky now that I look at it. In your own post, Jeremy, "between" (for example) is b[new line]etween.

Haven't looked at it on my mobile yet...

BH

EDIT: Have you already made a change? In my post it's broken example over two lines but inserted a hyphen i.e. ex-ample.
28 Jan, 2018
2018-1-28 4:34:31 PM UTC
Line breaks better now? Might need to force refresh to get the new css to load instead of using your browser's cached version.
28 Jan, 2018
2018-1-28 5:28:12 PM UTC

- the "post reply" function at the bottom of the page (when reading) underwent some simplification to try and declutter the interface for when just a quick message is wanted. I may have gone overboard there - are you missing any options in particular? It is possible to put most any of them back again and make some other stylistic changes instead. Most of those changes were a while ago though (not in the new site design released yesterday).

We usually reply from a specific post, so didn't notice that changes had been made to the general reply box; and since we usually reply from a specific post (as here), it doesn't matter much that changes were made.

- also on the "post reply", the box sizing hasn't been optimized yet. It does not show well on most platforms yet, I agree.

We were just making an observation about the box relative to the enlarged message boxes.

- on text line breaks being different between mobile and desktop - I'll take a look at both and try to improve.

Your latest tweak seems to have done the trick.

- on font sizing: I will make some adjustment to default font sizing, I can see what you mean there. I should be able to make it configurable per user as well, since comfort will vary between users (this may take a bit more time.) Without assigning responsibility to you to fix this, temporarily you can use the "zoom" feature in your browser to adjust the font sizing. There are keyboard shortcuts in most (definitely Chrome and Firefox, at least).

We know about the zoom feature. Ideally one shouldn't have to use it. But you may be limited in what you can do since different users will have different preferences, and different browsers will respond differently.

- on long lines of text - I'll play around with some layout choices. Fixing the font size options will definitely help, but there is more that I think can be done.

That would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne & Christina
29 Jan, 2018
2018-1-29 3:15:25 AM UTC
Wayne & Christina (and others), I've made some changes that I hope are helpful.

1- The default font size is now "standard" (ie most web browser default size) of 16px.

2- In the upper right corner is now a font-size selector:
Font Size Selector.png
clicking on the larger or smaller "A" will make the entire site adjust to a larger or smaller font layout. There are six options (10px, 12px, 14px, 16px, 18px, 20px). I can add more options if they seem useful to anyone who asks.

There are probably layout problems somewhere in the site due to the changing of sizes, I will continue to hunt those down - don't be shy if you see anything, let me know!

The size you select is saved in a cookie on your browser, so it will be applied to all future page loads from the website from that browser. Clearing your cookies will of course return it to default. Using a cookie will allow the same user to have different font sizes when reading the site from multiple computers for example.

No font sizing is available yet on the mobile layout. Once the desktop version settles in and seems to be working well, I will get that going as well.

3- I am playing with the layout of the paragraphs to make single lines of text not so long. This is a work in progress, and will probably take a few days as I experiment with responsive design some more. If you like what you see, let me know.
29 Jan, 2018
2018-1-29 8:20:37 AM UTC
It is improving by the day. Good work.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us