I can't recall this being discussed previously, but perhaps someone can draw my attention to previous discussion of this particular point...

I have two copies of the Methuen edition of The Silmarillion; one with only the label to the title page & one with the additional label (the "Friends" one) to the FFEP.

Not that I believed there was likely to be any difference between these two (but just in case others don't have both), but neither copies that I have are Clowes first state. Both copies have the pg. 352 Ulmo error corrected. I don't think this is particularly significant but I don't recall this being noted before.

In general the Clowes copies are very similar, as you'd expect. For example: all have the "Realms of the Noldor" map facing pg. 121 (which was probably in error). But textually, there are differences.

Neil/TolkienBooks has the Methuen edition sitting chronologically at the beginning before the Clowes "Export" edition & preceded only by the Dummy entry. I know that order Neil gives is not strict as, for example, the "Domestic" entry goes on to discuss the other impressions. But, still, the Methuen (if they're all Clowes second state) really sits, from a textual perspective, closer to the Clowes BCA edition that to the Clowes and Billing first states.

BH

P.S. Also, there is a Billing second state. When you going to mention this, Neil?!